|"What the...? (Part 1)"|
|Episode Number:||7/15 (097)|
|Original Release:||October 30, 2003|
|Viewership (in millions):||20.70|
|CBS.com Summary:|| Part 1|
|Previous:||"Me and My Snake"|
|Next:||"What the...? (Part 2)"|
What the...? is the seventh episode of Survivor: Pearl Islands.
Immunity Challenge: Pirate Prison Break
One tribe member from each tribe must race to a jail cell to untie one tribe member before moving to the next cells where their other tribemates are waiting. At the last cell are sticks and rope the tribes must use to retrieve a key outside to escape the prison. The first tribe to free themselves from the prison and reach the finish mat wins the challenge.
Additional Stipulation: If The Outcasts win first place, both Drake and Morgan would go to Tribal Council to vote a member off. The Outcasts would then follow and vote two of them back in the game. If The Outcasts finish second, whichever tribe between Drake and Morgan that finished last would vote a member off, and one returning Outcast will replace that player. If The Outcasts finish last, their chance to return is forfeited. Any returning Outcast would then be immune the next time they visit Tribal Council.
Winner: The Outcasts
| Tribal Council 7:|
Shawn (4 votes)
Christa, Jon, Rupert, Sandra
Jon (1 vote)
| VOTED OFF:|
|“||(voting for Jon) Jon, you and I know the truth. Basically, you've been backstabbing everyone including myself.||”|
|“||(voting for Shawn) (expletive censor) you!||”|
|“||I should have seen this one coming. Jon basically went back on everything he had told me for the first three days, um, about our supposed alliance. I had hoped that today would have brought a merger. Things probably would have been a lot different and I might have been able to go a lot further. I don't know. What can I say? Game, set, match.||”|
| Tribal Council 8:|
Because of his voluntary exit from the game, Osten's final words, if any, were not aired.
Still in the Running
- According to the (now defunct) Survivor: Pearl Islands website, The Outcasts challenge was technically an Immunity Challenge. Had Drake or Morgan won the challenge, the other tribe would have gone to Tribal Council and vote someone out. Had The Outcasts had finished second, they would have only voted one person back into the game, or they came last they would vote nobody back into the game.
- Osten is the first person to ever quit Survivor.
- This episode marked the very first double Tribal Council, or in this case triple Tribal Council due to The Outcasts.
- This episode marks the first time that a contestant deliberately left the competition.
- This is also the first episode not to cover the usual three-day cycle, as the episode only covered only one day (Day 19).
- Osten's final words were not revealed. Instead, the closing credits only had footage of the Morgan Tribe departing Tribal Council and ending with a shot of Osten's now laid-down torch. Additionally, his torch was not included during the Rites of Passage before the final Immunity Challenge. It remained at Tribal Council lying down on the ground since Osten's exit; though a video recap of his time in the game is still shown.
- This is the first episode to end with a cliffhanger.
- This is the first time that a challenge involves three tribes.
- Because Drake went to Tribal Council first and voted out Shawn, this is the only episode with Morgan having more members that Drake. This was short lived because Morgan also had to go to Tribal Council the same night.
- Due to Osten quitting at Morgan's Tribal Council, this marks the first time a Tribal Council was held, but nobody was voted out.
|Survivor: Pearl Islands Episodes|
"Beg, Barter, Steal" · "To Quit or Not to Quit" · "United We Stand, Divided We...?" · "Pick a Castaway... Any Castaway" · "Everyone's Hero" · "Me and My Snake" · "What the...? (Part 1)"· "What the...? (Part 2)" · "Shocking! Simply Shocking!" · "Swimming with Sharks" · "The Great Lie" · "Would You Be My Brutus Today?" · "Mutiny" · "Flames and Endurance" · "Reunion"