|Born:||June 17, 1979|
|Hometown:|| Heber, Utah;|
|Occupation:|| Former Professional Cyclist/Missionary|
|Heroes vs. Villains|
|Alliance(s):||Rob's Villains Alliance|
|Blood vs. Water|
|Alliance(s):|| Galang Alliance|
In Tocantins, Tyson was known for his hilariously acid-tongued confessionals, silly antics, and being Coach Wade's sidekick. However, he was a fierce competitor in challenges. His status as a physical threat would eventually result in his blindside.
In Blood vs. Water, Tyson matured into a powerhouse strategist. He found two Hidden Immunity Idols and formed strong bonds with Gervase Peterson and Monica Culpepper. After blindsiding Aras Baskauskas and his brother Vytas, Tyson then leveraged these resources to retain control of the game even in the face of determined and resourceful resistance by a minority alliance led by Ciera Eastin and Hayden Moss. All this, along with impressive challenge performances, enabled him to become the Sole Survivor.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Witty, charming and arrogant is how Tyson Apostol describes himself. This former pro-cyclist and swimmer believes that his natural athleticism combined with his "life of the party" personality will get him far in he game. His favorite movie is "The Jerk" and that's how some people just might describe him.
He compares his game strategy to that of some of the most entertaining castaways to ever play the game. Much like them, he is willing to do almost anything to win one million dollars, including implementing the use of lies and deceit to feed off the "emotional weakness" of the other castaways. A Brigham Young University drop-out, he is actually very well traveled and skilled in street smarts, previously spending two years in the Philippines as a Mormon missionary, in addition to six years as a cyclist in Switzerland, Belgium and Austria.
In many ways Tyson can be brash, egotistical and unapologetic but, oddly enough, he has no tolerance for "know-it-alls" or individuals who lack common courtesy. In addition to, as he describes it, "looking awesome," his favorite hobbies are exercising and sunbathing. If he becomes the next Sole Survivor, he plans to use all of the money for selfish purposes, starting with "the most smoking motorcycle around."Tyson currently resides in Heber City, Utah and his birthday is June 17.
Name: Tyson Apostol (33)
Apostol was preselected for the Timbira tribe before his arrival for Survivor: Tocantins. He is recognized as the secondary antagonist of this season, second to Benjamin "Coach" Wade. For the first two episodes, Apostol stuck with the majority of the alliance, forming a particular alliance with Coach, who dubbed Apostol his "assistant coach." In episode three, Coach and Apostol wanted to blindside Erinn Lobdell and ignore the sick Jerry Sims. However, the rest of the tribe disagreed and voted out Sims. At the merge, Apostol won the first Individual Immunity Challenge by outlasting former tribe mate Debbie Beebe; Apostol went on to win Final Nine Immunity Challenge as well, in the next episode. In that episode, Wade and Apostol aligned with Stephen Fishbach, James "J.T." Thomas, Jr., and Beebe to form a "warrior alliance," who blindsided Brendan Synnott with Lobdell and Tamara "Taj" Johnson-George's cooperation. In the next episode, Sierra Reed was the target, who narrowly lost the Immunity Challenge to one of Tyson's close allies, Debbie, but Thomas and Fishbach joined the other group, who decided that Apostol was more of a threat than Reed, and Apostol was voted out 5-3.
At the Final Tribal Council, Tyson, along with the rest of the jury, voted J.T. to win the game.
|Tyson's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|1||Timbira Tribe Immune|
|4||Timbira Tribe Immune|
|5||Timbira Tribe Immune|
|7||Timbira Tribe Immune|
|8||No Tribal Council1|
|10||Sierra|| Erinn, J.T., Sierra,|
|Voted Off, Day 27|
| Voted for|
^1 In The Dragon Slayer, Tyson won the Immunity Challenge, but his immunity was voided due to Joe's medical evacuation.
Heroes vs. Villains
Apostol's tribe dominated the initial Immunity Challenges, and after forming an alliance with Jerri Manthey and fellow Tocantins returnee Benjamin "Coach" Wade, he appeared to be safe after joining the alliance of Rob Mariano, Sandra Diaz-Twine, and Courtney Yates, along with Wade and Manthey. This group held a majority over the bloc of Russell Hantz, Parvati Shallow, and Danielle DiLorenzo. When both the Heroes and Villains had to vote someone out after the Individual Immunity Challenge, Mariano knew that Hantz had a Hidden Immunity Idol, so he directed his alliance to split their votes; thus, if Hantz gave the idol to Shallow to play, then Hantz would be eliminated, and if instead Hantz played the idol himself, Shallow would be eliminated.
Anticipating that Shallow and DiLorenzo might vote for Hantz in an attempt to save themselves, and believing that Hantz would not risk being eliminated by his own idol, Apostol changed the plan at the last moment, voting for Shallow. After Hantz gave Shallow the Hidden Immunity Idol and she played it, Tyson was eliminated by a vote of 3-2-0 (had Apostol stuck to the vote-splitting plan, he and Hantz would have tied 3-3, and Hantz would presumably have been eliminated on the revote.) Apostol was the sixth survivor and second "Villain" to be voted out of the game. Apostol's essentially voting himself out of the game has been called one of the dumbest moves in Survivor history. He realized that he cost himself the game upon exiting, but then claimed that he is "still pretty awesome".
|Tyson's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|1||Villains Tribe Immune|
|2||Villains Tribe Immune|
|4||Villains Tribe Immune|
|5||Villains Tribe Immune|
|6|| || Danielle, Parvati,|
|Voted Off, Day 15|
^1 In Banana Etiquette, Parvati used a Hidden Immunity Idol, negating Tyson's vote against her.
Blood vs. Water
Tyson was one of the three players coming back this season for what would be their third season (the others being Candice and Tina). One of the three people whose votes were revealed who didn't vote for Candice Cody in the first impressions vote, but she was voted off nonetheless, and with Rupert Boneham swapping places with his wife Laura Boneham, Tyson was left without any contestants he played with before on Galang. However, with the tribe unified in their distrust towards Colton Cumbie and with Tyson finding himself in a majority alliance with Tina Wesson, Gervase Peterson, Monica Culpepper, and Aras Baskauskas, Tyson started off well in this season, as he did in first two seasons.
His loved one and girlfriend Rachel Foulger, despite being confident in her ability to play the game on her own, did not have such a good start, being an outsider against the dominant Five Guys Alliance, although she did seem to have an alliance of her own with John Cody, who was in that alliance. However, they thought that if Rachel was sent to Redemption Island, Tyson would switch places with her and that would weaken Galang, so Rachel was voted off on Day 6. On Day 7, before Rachel, Candice, and Marissa Peterson competed in the duel, Tyson was given the opportunity to take Rachel's place. Tyson told Rachel that it was up to her. Rachel assumed that Tyson was in a comfortable position in his tribe and felt he needed to stay on his tribe, especially since that would foil the reasons why Rachel was voted off in the first place. However, Rachel lost the duel and was eliminated from the game. Even though Rachel reassured him that she enjoyed her time in the game, Tyson was very upset about her losing and felt it necessary to get to the end, otherwise he would regret not switching with her.
Tyson only ever had to attend one Tribal Council before the merge, in which him and his alliance decided to vote off the fierce challenge competitor Laura Morett over the outsider who struggled to fit in Laura Boneham, hoping that Laura would beat Brad Culpepper on Redemption Island to assure that Monica would trust in them before anyone else. During this time, Tyson grew closer to Gervase as they shared in a secret location where they ate coconuts without the rest of the tribe knowing (allowing them and fans of the show to refer to themselves as "Coconut Bandits") and Tyson became weary of Aras, who was in control of the alliance and the tribe, and who appeared to be a threat to win. The tribe swap in "One-Man Wrecking Ball" saw Aras, Gervase, and Tyson get switched over to Tadhana where they joined Caleb Bankston, Ciera Eastin, and Hayden Moss. Caleb and Hayden told the returning players about the Hidden Immunity Idol clues, and Tyson managed to get the new players and Gervase to form an alliance against Aras. On Tadhana, Tyson shifted his strategy to focusing on making it look like Aras is in control and should be targeted, and by eating as much food as he could.
When tribes merged in "Skin of My Teeth" following Laura M's re-entry to the game, Tyson immediately found the Hidden Immunity Idol using the information he was given earlier by Caleb and Hayden, and Tyson recruited Monica into the plan against blindsiding Aras, and those two along with post swap Tadhana and Laura M successfully blindsided Aras on Day 21, leaving Tina, Vytas Baskauskas, and Katie Collins on the outs. The outsiders were not happy with Tyson, with Tina saying that Tyson had lost their jury votes and both Vytas and Tina voted Tyson off at the Tribal Councils in which they were sent to Redemption Island. With only Katie left, Tyson felt that the last couple left (Ciera and Laura M.) needed to be split up as well and lead the blindside against Laura M. on Day 26.
At this point Tyson felt a bit comfortable, to the point where he opted out of the Day 29 Immunity Challenge in "Gloves Come Off" to eat instead of compete. Hayden, Katie, and Caleb formed a plan to get rid of Tyson but after telling Ciera, Ciera told Tyson about it, which solidified a final four alliance between Tyson, Ciera, Monica, and Gervase. Hayden and Caleb found out that Ciera told Tyson the plan so they tried to convince Tyson to vote off Ciera, but Tyson decided he trusted Caleb and Hayden less and opted to vote off Caleb, viewing him as a likely candidate to win the jury vote. Tyson did not feel comfortable going into that vote so he decided to play his Hidden Immunity Idol, but ended up wasting it.
After wasting his idol and Hayden announcing to the tribe that Tyson would beat any of them in the final 3, Tyson felt uneasy about where he stood in the game. Luckily for him, Laura M. won the duel on Day 30, who then gave a clue to the location of the Hidden Immunity Idol to Ciera who shared the information with Tyson. Tyson found the Hidden Immunity Idol and was relieved again, saying "Now I can take a nap. I wasn't going to be able to nap unless I found that idol". However, at the Day 32 Tribal Council in "Rustle Feathers", all the drama that came out of the conversation convinced Ciera to renege her alliance with Tyson, Monica, and Gervase, forcing a 3-3 initial vote and a 2-2 revote. Tyson, Ciera, and Katie were forced to draw rocks, and Katie drew the white rock which meant she was out of the game. Tyson hugged her on the way out, complimenting her on making a bold move but then Tyson's trademark "sarcastic jerk" side showed when he followed that up with "that's your seat over there" as he pointed towards the jury section.
Despite many attempts to convince Monica that she needed to make a big move against Tyson, the alliance of Tyson, Monica, and Gervase stayed strong for the remainder of the game, voting off Hayden, Ciera, and Tina (who came back from Redemption Island on Day 36). Tyson also won the last two individual Immunity Challenges. Monica was a bit angry with Tyson when he used his idol on Gervase at the Day 37 Tribal Council since it showed a lack of trust in her. At the Final Tribal Council, Tyson explained that he didn't play with any malice and that he just wanted to play hard and avenge Rachel's elimination. He also apologized to Katie for the rude comment he made to her. Due to his intentions for playing the game the way he did, being in control most of the time, and playing very hard, the entire jury aside from Vytas voted for Tyson to win the title of Sole Survivor over Monica and Gervase Peterson, who finished in 2nd and 3rd place respectively.
|Tyson's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|Galang Tribe Immune|
|2||Galang Tribe Immune|
|3||Galang Tribe Immune|
|4||Galang Tribe Immune|
|6||Tadhana Tribe Immune|
|7||Tadhana Tribe Immune|
| Jury Votes|
| Aras, Caleb, Ciera, Hayden,|
Katie, Laura M., Tina
|Sole Survivor, Day 39|
^1 In Gloves Come Off, Tyson used a Hidden Immunity Idol, but did not negate any votes against him.
^2 In Rustle Feathers, the vote ended with a 3-3 tie between Hayden and Monica, forcing a revote. Tyson did not change his vote on the revote.
- On January 9, 2010, Tyson attended Survivor's 10-year anniversary party along with all of his Heroes vs. Villains cast mates.
- At the Heroes vs. Villains Reunion Show, Tyson was nominated for the "Dumbest Move in Survivor History" for switching his vote to Parvati Shallow, who played a Hidden Immunity Idol, causing himself to be voted out of the game. Tyson lost to his fellow Survivor: Tocantins and Heroes vs. Villains castmate J.T. Thomas.
- Tyson worked with Teddie Films to make a parody of the hit song by Gotye "Somebody That I Used to Know" called "The Star Wars That I Used to Know" which was released on June 27, 2012. Tyson played Darth Vader in the video.
- Tyson and Rachel appeared on Marriage Boot Camp where Tyson proposed.
- Tyson married Rachel in 2015. Tyson's former Tocantins castmate Stephen Fishbach officiated the ceremony. They are expecting their first child.
- In June 2015, they welcomed their daughter, Bergen Rose. There were complications that resulted in a C-Section.
|Statistics of Tyson Apostol|
|Total votes received:||10|
|Days spent on Redemption Island:||0|
- Tyson was the youngest male on the Timbira and Villains tribes.
- Tyson is left-handed and speaks Filipino.
- Tyson lost 12-14 lbs. during his time in Tocantins.
- Tyson is the first male castaway to be voted out as a result of a successful Hidden Immunity Idol usage.
- Tyson was considered for Survivor: Caramoan, but was cut due to the season taking a "different casting direction".
- Tyson is the sixth castaway to win the game as a returnee, after Amber Brkich won All-Stars, Parvati Shallow won Micronesia, Sandra Diaz-Twine won Heroes vs. Villains, Rob Mariano won Redemption Island, and John Cochran won Caramoan. They were followed by Jeremy Collins when he won Cambodia.
- Tyson is one of six winners who have played the game at least 3 times. The others are Parvati Shallow, Rob Mariano, Tina Wesson, Sandra Diaz-Twine, and J.T. Thomas.
- Tyson is one of six castaways to finish the game as a finalist, a juror, and pre-juror. The other five are Stephenie LaGrossa, Colby Donaldson, Tina Wesson, and J.T. Thomas.
- Both Tyson and Tina won as finalists and both completed their trifecta in Blood vs. Water.
- Tyson is the only one of the five to have completed his trifecta as a finalist.
- Despite two of his seasons featuring Exile Island and Redemption Island, Tyson has never experienced either twist, having never been sent to either.
- Tyson is one of two castaways to have played at least three times and win their opening Immunity Challenge every time. The other is his two-time tribemate Coach Wade.
- Tyson is one of four players, along with Rupert Boneham, Jerri Manthey, and Rob Mariano, to play three or more times and never participate in a Survivor Auction.
- Tyson, along with Jonathan Penner, has the fewest number of confessionals for castaways that had the most in a single season with 49 each.
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/23287/
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/39412/
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/214726/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dcTH5-BFnk
- ↑ http://www.people.com/article/tyson-apostol-proposes-marriage-boot-camp-reality-stars
- ↑ http://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2015/09/22/survivor-second-chance-stephen-ive-publicly-said-bad-things-about-a-lot-of-this-cast/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC1CoJqyN2w&feature=youtu.be
- ↑ https://instagram.com/p/0Mh6fDIru3/
- ↑ https://instagram.com/p/4dkyBoIrjw/
- ↑ http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2013/09/17/survivor-castaways-tyson-rachel-she%E2%80%99s-the-sweetness-to-my-salty/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WnbyVP6158
- ↑ http://survivor.wikia.com/wiki/Survivor:_Caramoan
|Sole Survivor Titleholder|
Blood vs. Water
| Succeeded by|
|Survivor: Tocantins Castaways|
|Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains Castaways|
|Survivor: Blood vs. Water Castaways|