|"The Sole Survivor"|
|Episode Number:||14/14 (056)|
|Original Release:||May 19, 2002|
|Viewership (in millions):|| 25.87 (finale)|
|Ratings/Share (18-49):|| 10.4/23 (finale)|
|Previous:||“A Tale of Two Cities”|
|Next:|| “The Importance of Being Eldest”|
The Sole Survivor is the season finale of Survivor: Marquesas.
Challenge: Fallen Comrades
Jeff would ask the contestants questions about the eliminated contestants and about events that had occurred earlier in the season. The first contestant to get ten questions right wins Immunity.
Winner: Vecepia Towery
|Immunity Challenge: Fallen Comrades|
Kathy, Neleh, Paschal
| Tribal Council 13:|
Kathy (2 votes)
Neleh (2 votes)
Neleh, Kathy (2 votes each)
|“||(voting for Kathy) Simply an amazing woman.||”|
|“||(voting for Kathy) Kathy, my note-- my vote tonight is for you. Um, I said I would never ever vote against Paschal. It looks like it's going to be a tiebreaker and I'm definitely not ready to leave.||”|
|“||It's been an amazing experience. Uh, I've met some wonderful people and made some lifelong friends. And to the competitors that remain, I wish each of them luck. They're all worthy. And to the other Jury members, I look forward to being part of you.||”|
| Tribal Council 14:|
Kathy (1 vote)
| VOTED OFF:|
|“||Sixteen total American strangers hit this island. First thing off the bat, we are working as a team. It was done with positive attitudes, integrity, oh, honesty-- that might have been a little shaky at times. It's the relationships and how you can improve upon them that I'm taking away but, uh, I loved it.||”|
Final Tribal Council
| Tribal Council 15:|
| Voted for|
Vecepia (4 votes)
John, Robert, Sean, Tammy
Neleh (3 votes)
Kathy, Paschal, Zoe
| SOLE SURVIVOR:|
|“||(voting for Vecepia) (sigh) This was an unbelievably hard decision. I hoped Neleh would really come forward and tell me, "Sorry, I betrayed you. I lied to you." That didn't happen. V, you came in the backdoor. You flew under the radar. It's not my style, but you played the game, and I appreciate you answering, uh, answering your questions honestly. And, uh, you go, girl!||”|
|“||(voting for Neleh) More honest, less deceitful, and always completed the race whether she was first or last. Very deserving.||”|
|“||(voting for Vecepia) Yo, we did it, baby. Even though it was a tough road, better you than me, sweetie. You deserve this. I know you're gonna represent. It ain't even about a million dollars, but if you do happen to win (chuckles and imitates Dr. Evil from Austin Powers movies) one million dollars... (laughs) hook a brother up, you know? Help me pay my rent, you know? Hook it up so that we can do this right. But all the love to you, sister. After it's all said and done, we definitely gonna do some chicken and waffles and we'll hook it up, but... God is good, remember that. Whatever the outcome is, you know, put Christ first and it's all gonna fall into place. So, I love you, sister. Keep your head up and good luck.||”|
|“||(voting for Neleh) Going to make this short and sweet. "V" is not for victory tonight. Neleh is the Survivor here.||”|
- The reunion began with Rosie O'Donnell riding on the back of a motorcycle with a mysterious motorcycle driver. The driver of the motorcycle took off his helmet and was revealed to be The Australian Outback runner-up Colby Donaldson, getting an applause from the audience. Rosie started chatting with Colby until he politely told her to get off the bike because she had a reunion to host.
- Rosie sang an song and mentioned some of the castaways in the song.
- Rosie gave Neleh two caps, one saying "Oh My Heck" and the other saying "This Sucks".
- Rosie O'Donnell made all but Vecepia taste "yucky" in order to win a mystery prize. In reality the "yucky" stuff was really gummy worms. She told them they had five seconds to eat the "yucky" stuff. Everybody finished their gummy worms and were rewarded with DVD's of the first four seasons of the show. She then also surprised everyone by giving them all a new car.
- Rosie had Paschal's wife Beverly join everybody on stage at the end of the reunion.
- This is the first episode in which the rock drawing tiebreaker has been used. It would later be used in “Out on a Limb”.
- Under the normal rules of the rock drawing tiebreaker, the tied castaways would not draw rocks. However, this provision does not apply at the Final Four, because only one person would draw a rock in that scenario. As such, Kathy Vavrick-O'Brien and Neleh Dennis both drew rocks. Jeff Probst acknowledged the mistake.
- This episode marked the first time Paschal English did not vote against the person eliminated. It should be noted, however, that the eliminated person was Paschal himself.
- This episode marks the first time a jury member is absent at Tribal Council, when Paschal was revealed to have passed out immediately after his elimination and was hospitalized, missing the Day 38 Tribal Council. Paschal was able to return and serve as a jury member in the Final Tribal Council.
- This is the first season finale in which members of both original tribes are still in the game.
- During the original broadcast of the episode, previous castaways Susan Hawk, Richard Hatch, Ethan Zohn, and Tina Wesson would appear live respectively going into commercial breaks chatting with Rosie O'Donnell.
- This season's reunion show is the last one to not be hosted by Jeff Probst.
|Survivor: Marquesas Episodes|
“Back to the Beach” · “Nacho Momma” · “No Pain, No Gain” · “The Winds Twist” · “The End of Innocence” · “The Underdogs” · “True Lies” · “Jury's Out” · “Look Closer: The First 24 Days” · “Two Peas in a Pod” · “The Princess” · “Marquesan Vacation” · “A Tale of Two Cities” · “The Sole Survivor”