|"The Gloves Come Off"|
|Episode Number:||5/16 (019)|
|Original Release:||February 22, 2001|
|Viewership (in millions):||28.78|
|Previous:||"The Killing Fields"|
|Next:||"Trial by Fire"|
The Gloves Come Off is the fifth episode of Survivor: The Australian Outback.
On Day 13, all sorts of things are happening at Ogakor camp. For one thing, the nearby forest fire continues to rage, sending waves of smoke towards camp. For another, Colby's Tribal Council switcheroo has blindsided Jerri and Amber, who are now in the minority in their tribe. Jerri tries to convince Colby to stick with her instead of Tina and Keith, but Colby is non-committal.
On Kucha, it's time for the tribe to feast on another chicken. Kimmi again voices her displeasure about killing the chickens. She and Alicia get into a heated argument. Alicia says that Kimmi is complaining too much, while Kimmi accuses Alicia of being rude. "Don't wave your finger in my face," says Kimmi. "I will ALWAYS wave my finger in your face," Alicia retorts. The encounter increases the tension between the two. Meanwhile, the rest of the tribe has gotten annoyed by Kimmi's tendency to not bathe. Kimmi says she has no intention of bathing in the "incredibly gross" water.
Each team gets Tree Mail telling them to build a three-sided stretcher called a travois. They then use the travois for the Reward Challenge, in which two people must rescue their three tribemates by carrying them on the travois. In a close race, Kucha wins yet again, sending Ogakor's Amber into tears "I'm so tired of losing," she laments. Kucha wins shampoo, toothbrushes, and spices.
Back at Kucha's camp, the tribe members use the reward to clean themselves up, even Kimmi. They boast about their domination of Ogakor thus far. On Ogakor, the demoralized tribe prepares for the next challenge.
The tribes reconvene for their fifth Immunity Challenge. From the start, Ogakor works together more smoothly than Kucha does, and Ogakor finally pulls through to snap their challenge losing streak. The tribemates celebrate. Back at Kucha, Alicia and Jeff think they have a consensus to vote off Kimmi. Elsewhere, though, Elisabeth and Rodger note that Alicia has a strong personality, and that the tribe might get along better without her.
At Tribal Council, though, it's unanimous—Kimmi takes six votes (her vote is for Jeff) and gets the boot. Kimmi is the fifth victim of Survivor: The Australian Outback.
Reward: The winning tribe wins bath implements and all of the items chosen from a catalog by both tribes. Kucha chose blankets and Ogakor chose soup mix and spices.
| Tribal Council 5:|
Kimmi (6 votes)
Alicia, Elisabeth, Jeff, Michael, Nick, Rodger
Jeff (1 vote)
| VOTED OFF:|
|“||I knew for a long time that my head was on the chopping block. It doesn't surprise me at all. I'm glad that I stayed true to myself and my morals. Um, I know that Alicia and I have not gotten along since Day 1. If that's what they felt they had to do, then, you know, power to the team!||”|
Still in the Running
- Jeff Probst claimed that the maze they used at the Immunity Challenge was made up up 46 tons of lumber, 3 miles of burlap and took two weeks to build.
- This episode's Immunity Challenge was the third time a tribe with a numbers advantage was not required to sit anybody out, following the Survivor Smorgasbord challenge of the previous season and the same challenge this season.
- In both of their trips to Tribal Council, Kucha suffered rainfall.
- Kimmi's vote for Jeff Varner was not revealed to the tribe, something that would later be referenced when Jeff is eliminated.
- This was the third time that an eliminated contestant's torch, Kimmi Kappenberg, has been extinguished by the pouring rain and the third time that it was extinguished before it was snuffed. The first incident was in Survivor: Borneo, where Stacey Stillman was voted off, and the second incident was in the same season, where Sean Kenniff was eliminated.
|Survivor: The Australian Outback Episodes|
"Stranded" · "Suspicion" · "Trust No One" · "The Killing Fields" · "The Gloves Come Off" · "Trial by Fire" · "The Merge" · "Friends?" · "The First 24 Days" · "Honeymoon or Not?" · "Let's Make a Deal" · "No Longer Just a Game" · "Enough Is Enough" · "The Final Four" · "The Most Deserving" · "Reunion"