|Birth Date||October 10, 1959|
|Tribe(s)|| ██ La Mina|
|Alliance(s)||La Mina Alliance|
Terry Deitz is a contestant from Survivor: Panama.
A former Navy Pilot, Deitz is credited with his execution of the Hidden Immunity Idol and five consecutive Individual Immunity victories which allowed him to navigate the post-merge competition with ease. His use of the Idol was deemed "too powerful" at the time and in doing so, future Hidden Idol holders would be forced to play them earlier.
Terry Deitz was born and raised in Matawan, New Jersey, by his mother, Peggy and father, George. He has three brothers, Mickey, Skip and Tommie, and one sister, Pegi.
Deitz attended St. Joseph's Grammar School in Keyport, New Jersey, where he played little league baseball, football and basketball. He was also an avid swimmer and a member of the dive team. He then attended St. John Vianney High School in Holmdel, New Jersey, where he earned 11 Varsity letters in football (quarterback), baseball (catcher) and wrestling. He received All County and All Conference awards and made All-State Baseball 1st Team. In addition, he was Varsity Captain for three sports.
From 1978 to 1982, Deitz attended the United States Naval Academy. While there, he played four years of Varsity Division I baseball. In 1982, he was ordered to the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier as a Ship's Officer in the Weapons Department, where he handled ship's defense systems. He was also Officer of the Deck qualified, which enabled him to run the ship for the Captain on a four-hour watch rotation.
In 1984, Deitz was ordered to the US Navy flight school in Pensacola, Florida, where he learned to fly a Navy T-34 turbo prop. He earned jet grades and was sent to Meridian, Mississippi for T-2 and T-A4 advanced jet training. After he obtained his Navy wings, he was ordered to NAS Miramar in San Diego, California, for training in the F-14 Tomcat. In 1986, he began flying the F-14. In 1987, he was a pilot with the Fighter Squadron-51 (Miramar/Deployed on the USS Carl Vinson CVN-70).
Deitz met his wife, Trish, six days before his last six-month cruise. They had three dates, and then he went away for six months. They eventually married on October 5, 1991.
From 1990-1992, Deitz conducted shore duty as an F-14 Instructor pilot. In 1992, married life with family aspirations triggered his decision to leave the active duty Navy.
He was honorably discharged from active Navy and entered Navy reserve. He was then hired by American Airlines as a commercial pilot. In 1994, he and his family moved from San Diego to Simsbury, Connecticut to be able to fly out of New York and Boston. While employed as a commercial pilot, he was also hired by the Naval Reserve Logistics Squadron-52 where he flew the DC-9 worldwide out of the Navy air station in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania. He was later promoted to Commander and eventually retired in April 2001.
Deitz presently resides in Simsbury, Connecticut with Trish and their children, Kayla and Daniel. He continues to fly with American Airlines, piloting the Airbus A300. His birth date is October 10, 1959.
Terry Deitz being 46 years of age at time of play was placed on the La Mina which consisted of older men. Terry was selected to run the first challenge, He was the first person to find an amulet and gotten Flint for his tribe. Terry bonded with fellow tribe member Dan Barry as both share an history of Aeronautics. Both men along with Bruce Kanegai worked hard at camp leaving Shane Powers feeling left out. At the immunity challenge, the older men placed second, keeping them safe from Tribal Council.
On Day 4, the four tribes integrated into two. Terry gotten the orange buff and was the captain of the new La Mina. His first selection was Sally Schumann. At the immunity challenge, the new La Mina tribe won, keeping them safe. They also won the reward challenge and the right to exile a member of the new Casaya. The tribe chose to exile Bruce to demoralized the opposing tribe. However, Casaya won the next immunity. Although Ruth-Marie Milliman was consider the physically weakest, The men of La Mina targeted Misty Giles for her poor performance and the possibly having the Hidden Immunity Idol. Unfortunately, Casaya went on a winning streak, and they chose to exile Terry twice. During his time on Exile Island, he found the idol. La Mina managed to break Casaya's streak temporarily but Casaya won a joint reward/immunity challenge. Casaya chose to exile Sally which will also abstain her from the vote. With the intended target immune, Terry joined Austin Carty and Nick Stanbury in ousting Dan.
On Day 17, the tribes merged and the former La Mina was outnumbered 6-4. Terry tried to get Bruce, Shane, Danielle DiLorenzo, and Cirie Fields to flip. The former Casaya, however, held strong. They targeted Terry but he won consecutive immunities, however he did have to watch his fellow La Mina members be voted out. At the final six, Terry tried to get Courtney Marit under his wing. After winning immunity again, Terry targeted his rival Aras Baskauskas and believed he was going home. However, Cirie started noticing Terry aligning with Courtney. Viewing this as Terry getting insurance for the final two, Cirie arranged for Courtney's elimination. Terry tied a record when he won his fifth individual immunity challenge in a row. At the final four, Aras won the reward challenge, Despite Terry's protests. Aras chose to bring along Cirie, automatically exiling Terry and Danielle. Danielle decided to align with Terry and conspire to eliminate Aras. This plot was foiled when Aras won immunity. Despite Danielle's pleas, Terry refused to give her the idol, meaning its powers had gone to waste. Terry won an advantage at the final immunity challenge. Despite that, Terry was the first to fall in the challenge. Despite teaching Danielle how to make fire, Danielle did not hold her end of the deal and voted out Terry. As a Juror, Terry gave his vote to Aras, likely in retaliation for Danielle's betrayal.
|Terry's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|1||La Mina Tribe Immune|
|2||La Mina Tribe Immune|
|5||La Mina Tribe Immune|
|11||No Tribal Council|
|Voted Off, Day 38|
| Voted for|
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.
- Terry was the only La Mina member to win Individual Immunity.
- Terry was the only member of the original La Mina tribe to reach the merge and never be a part of the rival Casaya.
- Terry was considered to return for Survivor: Micronesia and Survivor: Heroes vs Villains, but was ultimately cut.
- Terry, tied with Colby Donaldson, Tom Westman, and Ozzy Lusth, for the record of most Individual Immunity wins in a single season with five.
- Terry is the first contestant to possess a Hidden Immunity Idol, not use it, but still get voted out since he could no longer play it.
- Terry is the first, and thus far only, contestant from Connecticut.
- Throughout the merge, Terry never voted with the majority.
- Terry is the second contestant to find a Hidden Immunity Idol.
- Terry shares the same birthday as Russell Hantz.
- In Panama, Terry became the tenth contestant, to win the loved ones challenge, following Greg Buis, Tina Wesson, Lex van den Berghe, Kathy Vavrick-O'Brien, Helen Glover, Matthew von Ertfelda, Jon Dalton, Tom Buchanan and Eliza Orlins.
- Terry is the only person from Survivor: Panama's final 4 that has not returned for another season.
- Terry is the first castaway to win a Reward Challenge that gave an advantage in the Final Immunity Challenge followed by Malcolm Freberg from Survivor: Philippines and John Cochran from Survivor: Caramoan.
- Despite having the advantage he failed to win the challenge.
- Terry and Cirie Fields are the only contestants from Survivor: Panama to reach the merge and only be affiliated with two tribes.
- Terry is the only male to reach the merge and only be affiliated with two tribes during Survivor: Panama.
- Terry shares his birthday with Ken Hoang
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.
|Survivor: Panama Castaways|