|Filming Location||Koror, Palau, Micronesia|
|Season Run||February 17, 2005 – May 15, 2005|
|Filming Dates||October 27, 2004 – December 4, 2004|
|Tribes|| ██ Koror|
|Returnees|| Bobby Jon Drinkard (11)|
Stephenie LaGrossa (11, 20)
Tom Westman (20)
Survivor: Palau is the tenth season of Survivor. It was filmed in the island-country of Palau in the Micronesia subregion of Oceania. The main theme of the season was the Pacific Theatre of World War II.
Survivor's 10th season earned the show a Primetime Emmy Award nomination in 2005.
Applications were due June 22, 2004. Around 800 applicants were selected for an interview between the latter part of July and August. Out of these 800, 48 were chosen as semi-finalists for an interview in Los Angeles during September. From these semi-finalists, 20 were chosen to participate the show between October to December 2004.
- Expanded Cast: This is the first season to feature twenty contestants.
- Schoolyard pick and elimination: The contestants start the game by competing for two individual immunity necklaces awarded to the first man and the first woman to reach them. The winners then pick one member of the opposite sex to join their tribe and add another contestant to it. The last man and the last woman who are not picked are eliminated from the game.
- Double Tribal Council: On one occasion, both tribes have to vote somebody out of the game.
- Tiebreaker challenge: A fire-starting contest is held in case of a tie or if there are only two people left on a tribe.
- No Merge: Ulong was absorbed into its rival tribe after being reduced to only one member.
- Exile Island: Exile Island is introduced for the first time. Used only once as punishment for a loser of a challenge, the exiled contestant is sent to a remote location with minimum supplies to live there for a certain period of time.
|Contestant||Original Tribe||Conquered Tribe||Finish|| Votes|
23, Dallas, TX
55, Ulysses, PA
38, Houston, TX
|Ulong|| 1st Voted Out|
22, Easley, SC
|Ulong|| 2nd Voted Out|
21, Ventura, CA
|Ulong|| 3rd Voted Out|
25, Huber Heights, OH
|Ulong|| 4th Voted Out|
56, Bellevue, WA
|Koror|| 5th Voted Out|
24, New Orleans, LA
|Ulong|| 6th Voted Out|
33, Mobile, AL
|Ulong|| 7th Voted Out|
27, Birmingham, AL
|Ulong|| 8th Voted Out|
|Bobby Jon Drinkard|
27, Troy, AL
32, Dallas, TX
|Koror||Koror|| 9th Voted Out|
1st Jury Member
39, Las Vegas, NV
2nd Jury Member
24, Glenolden, PA
|Ulong|| 10th Voted Out|
3rd Jury Member
27, Chicago, IL
|Koror|| 11th Voted Out|
4th Jury Member
46, Solon, OH
|Koror|| 12th Voted Out|
5th Jury Member
32, Encino, CA
|Koror|| 13th Voted Out|
6th Jury Member
23, Key Largo, FL
|Koror|| 14th Voted Out|
7th Jury Member
29, Merced, CA
40, Sayville, NY
The twenty contestants began the game by rowing to the beach they would live on, with the first player of each gender to reach shore winning Immunity. However, once ashore, they received no additional instructions nor were divided into tribes, and began to work on a common shelter. The next day, Jeff Probst announced that they would now pick tribes via a school-yard pick, with those who had won immunity getting to choose first. The last man and woman remaining would immediately leave the game. Eventually, Jonathan Libby and Wanda Shirk did not get picked, and were sent home. The two tribes, Koror and Ulong, then participated in the first reward/immunity challenge, with the winner, Koror, deciding to leave their present beach to another one they had not seen.
As the challenges continued, it quickly became apparent that Ulong was the weaker tribe, while strong leadership by Tom Westman and Ian Rosenberger at Koror kept their tribe intact. Ulong would win no Immunity Challenges and only three Reward Challenges. Koror had to vote one of their own out only once during the first 21 days, when both tribes had to attend Tribal Council.
This season, unlike several previous ones, did not have a Tribe Switch, and Ulong's numbers continued to dwindle. With only two members left, Stephenie LaGrossa and Bobby Jon Drinkard, they faced off in a fire-making challenge, with the former emerging victorious. After spending the night alone, she was instructed to travel to camp Koror, and was given a Koror buff. No merge occurred.
Koror developed a core group of five: Tom, Ian, Gregg Carey, Jenn Lyon, and Katie Gallagher, and those on the outside saw them as a threat but were not able to break them. Despite making an immediate strong impression on her new tribe, Stephenie was targeted due to her strength and for being the outsider. She was able to buy herself some time when the Koror alliance decided to get rid of Coby Archa. As part of a new twist, one individual Immunity Challenge required the first player to drop out to spend a night alone on an isolated island (Exile Island). Janu Tornell, the most disliked member of the tribe, was the one exiled. She found the experience liberating, and decided to quit the game at the next Tribal Council, effectively sparing Stephenie from being voted out. Stephenie's run lasted for only one more round, as she was finally sent home after not winning Immunity or being able to break Koror's bond.
When Koror was down to six, Tom and Ian worried that they would fall against a potential Immunity threat, Gregg, and his close ally Jenn, and plotted with Caryn Groedel and Katie to vote him out when they had the chance. Katie, feeling betrayed by Ian, became even more distraught when Ian took Tom with him on a reward instead of her as he had promised. Ian attempted to make amends, but Katie still held bad feelings towards him. After eliminating Caryn from the game, the final four opted to allow the next vote to end in a tie between Jenn and Ian. In the subsequent fire-making challenge, it was Ian who prevailed.
The final Immunity Challenge required players to hang onto buoys for as long as possible; Katie dropped out early, but both Tom and Ian remained in the challenge for nearly 12 hours. Eventually Ian decided to step down. Despite Tom's offer to take him to the final two, Ian made his own offer to step down in order to gain back his integrity and friendship. Foregoing the usual tribal council, Tom voted Ian out of the game on the spot. At the Final Tribal Council, Tom's leadership and physical ability against Katie's apparent riding-of-coattails, led the Jury to vote Tom as the Sole Survivor, 6–1.
|1||"This Has Never Happened Before!"||February 17, 2005||None||Ian||Jonathan||No Vote1|| Eliminated|
|Koror||Jolanda||6-3|| 1st Voted Out|
|2||"Love Is in the Air, Rats Are Everywhere"||February 24, 2005||Ulong||Koror||Ashlee||6-1-1|| 2nd Voted Out|
|3||"Dangerous Creatures and Horrible Setbacks"||March 3, 2005||Ulong||Koror||Jeff||4-2-1|| 3rd Voted Out|
|4||"Sumo at Sea"||March 10, 2005||Koror||Koror||Kim||5-1|| 4th Voted Out|
|5||"The Best and Worst Reward Ever"||March 16, 2005||Koror||(Ibrehem)||Willard||8-1|| 5th Voted Out|
| 6th Voted Out|
|6||"Jellyfish 'n Chips"||March 23, 2005||Ulong||Koror||James|| 2-2;|
| 7th Voted Out|
|7||"The Great White Shark Hunter"||March 31, 2005||Koror||Koror||Ibrehem||2-1||8th Voted Out|
|8||"Neanderthal Man"||April 7, 2005||Koror||Koror||Bobby Jon||No Vote4|| Eliminated|
|9||"I Will Not Give Up"||April 14, 2005||None||Tom||Coby||7-1-1|| 9th Voted Out|
1st Jury Member
|10||"Exile Island"||April 21, 2005||Caryn, Gregg, Janu, Tom||Tom||Janu||No Vote|| Quit|
2nd Jury Member
|11||"I'll Show You How Threatening I Am"||April 28, 2005|| Survivor|
|Ian||Stephenie||6-1|| 10th Voted Out|
3rd Jury Member
|12||"We'll Make You Pay"||May 5, 2005||Gregg|
|Ian||Gregg||4-2|| 11th Voted Out|
4th Jury Member
|13||"It Could All Backfire"||May 12, 2005||Ian|
|Tom||Caryn||4-1|| 12th Voted Out|
5th Jury Member
|14||"The Ultimate Shock"||May 15, 2005||None||Tom||Jenn|| 2-2;|
|13th Voted Out|
6th Jury Member
|Tom||Ian||1-0|| 14th Voted Out|
7th Jury Member
|Reunion Show||Jury Vote||Katie||6-1||Runner-Up|
^1 Due to not being picked by the initial tribes, Jonathan and Wanda were automatically eliminated.
^2 A tie between Bobby Jon and Angie forced a re-vote; Stephenie and Ibrehem switched their votes to Angie, eliminating her.
^3 A tie between Ibrehem and James forced a re-vote; Stephenie switched her vote from Ibrehem to James, eliminating him.
^4 With Ulong having only two members, a fire-making challenge was held to determine the elimination, which Bobby Jon lost.
^5 With a deadlock tie between Ian and Jenn, a fire-making challenge was held to determine the elimination, which Jenn lost.
|Survivor: Palau Voting History|
|Tribe Selection||Original Tribes||Jury Phase|
|Vote:||No Vote||6-3||6-1-1||4-2-1||5-1||8-1||2-2-1||3-0||2-2||2-0||2-1||No Vote||7-1-1||No Vote||6-1||4-2||4-1||2-2||1-1||1-0||6-1|
- Jonathan and Wanda were automatically eliminated due to not being selected on a schoolyard pick.
- With only Stephenie and Bobby Jon remaining a fire-making challenge was held to determine the elimination.
- With Ian and Jenn tied at the revote, a fire-making challenge was held to determine the elimination.
- For the first time in the series' history, one tribe "conquered" the other by winning every single Immunity Challenge and absorbing the other tribe's last member. Had Koror and Ulong merged, they would've been given a new green buff.
- This is the only season where the pre-Jury boots outnumbered those who reach the Jury phase.
- It is the first season of Survivor to start with 20 people instead of 18 or 16.
- Palau is the first season to eliminate 3 castaways in the first episode. Jonathan and Wanda were eliminated in the schoolyard pick, while Jolanda was voted out normally at the first Tribal Council.
- It would be followed by Survivor: Blood vs Water
- This is the last season to lack the hidden immunity idol.
- On January 19, 2010, Survivor: Palau contestant Jenn Lyon died at the age of 37 after a 5-year battle with breast cancer.
- This is the first season is to have three tie votes occur.
- This happened again in Survivor: Caramoan.
- If you count Ulong's final tribal council, there were four ties this season.
- Palau is the first season to have only two contestants win individual immunity.
- Palau is the only season to have two fire making challenges occur.
- The font used for the tribes and Palau subtitle is "Stencil."
- Palau is the first season to have Exile Island.
- However, Exile Island was only used for one episode. Survivor: Panama was the first season to use it as a full season twist.
- Palau is the first season where contestants were eliminated before Day 3.
|Survivor (US) Seasons|
Borneo · The Australian Outback · Africa · Marquesas · Thailand · The Amazon · Pearl Islands · All-Stars · Vanuatu · Palau · Guatemala · Exile Island · Cook Islands · Fiji · China · Micronesia · Gabon · Tocantins · Samoa · Heroes vs Villains · Nicaragua · Redemption Island · South Pacific · One World · Philippines · Caramoan · Blood vs Water · Cagayan