|Smash and Grab|
|Recurring Survivor Challenge|
|Description:||A recurring water-based challenge.|
|Appearances:|| Cook Islands|
Millennials vs. Gen X
Smash and Grab (also known as Smash, Grab, Smash) is a tribal challenge that originated in Survivor: Cook Islands, and has since been used in Micronesia, Redemption Island, Caramoan, and Millennials vs. Gen X.
A given number of tribe-members must swim out to a platform and climb up to a high platform. They take a club and jump out over the water, attempting to smash a tile which holds a key. Upon retrieving the key, they return to shore and the next contestant begins the circuit. Once all keys have been retrieved, the remaining tribemates use the keys to unlock a box and complete the final phase of the challenge: either a puzzle or a carnival throwing-game.
The challenge debuted in Survivor: Cook Islands as a Reward Challenge. Three tribe members retrieved six keys (each contestant required to collect at least one key each), whilst the remaining two solved the final puzzle depicting a map of the world. Aitutaki won the challenge, receiving items they had selected from a catalogue (bread, potatoes and peanut butter).
The same format was used in Survivor: Micronesia, although the challenge was a combined Reward/Immunity Challenge. Five tribe-mates retrieved one key each, one person unlocked the chest and the remaining three contestants solved the puzzle (a map of Micronesia). Malakal won the challenge, gaining immunity, fishing supplies and a bamboo boat.
In Survivor: Redemption Island, the last phase was changed to a carnival game and the challenge was renamed Smash, Grab, Smash. Five contestants retrieved keys, one unlocked the chest, whilst the remaining two used balls contained in the chest to smash five tiles. Zapatera won the challenge, gaining immunity and reward (fishing gear).
Survivor: Caramoan saw five contestants retrieving keys and the remaining two unlocking the chest and using the sandbags contained within to knock over a row of stacked blocks. Bikal won the challenge, and immunity.
| Cook Islands|
“Why Aren't You Swimming?!”
|Tribal Reward|| |
“The Sounds of Jungle Love”
|Tribal Immunity/Reward|| |
| Redemption Island|
“You Own My Vote”
|Tribal Immunity/Reward|| |
“Kill or Be Killed”
|Tribal Immunity|| |
- Andrea Boehlke, Erik Reichenbach, Jonathan Penner, Ozzy Lusth, Parvati Shallow, and Phillip Sheppard have all competed in this challenge twice.
- Jonathan and Ozzy are the only contestants to have won the challenge twice.
- This challenge was used in both "Fans vs. Favorites" seasons (Survivor: Micronesia and Survivor: Caramoan).
- Both times, it was won by the Favorites tribe.
- Every purple tribe that competed when this challenge was held won.
- They all defeated an orange tribe.
- They had returning players on them.
- They all had nine members remaining at the time.
- Zapatera is the only tribe to win this challenge and not have a winner on it.
- This challenge has been played by both members of the Hantz family who have competed on Survivor: Russell Hantz in Redemption Island, and Brandon Hantz in Caramoan.
- Many contestants' opening shots came from this challenge.