|Born:||January 28, 1978|
|Alliance(s):||Younger Samburu Alliance|
Silas Gaither is a contestant from Survivor: Africa.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Silas Gaither, originally from Germantown, Tennessee, recently moved to Los Angeles. Gaither graduated with a BA in Finance from University of Tennessee, Knoxville in 2000, and is currently bartending in West Los Angeles while pursuing a career in acting.
During Gaither's senior year at Houston High School (1996), his soccer team won the State Championship. In addition, he played high school football, wrestled and was voted "Mr. Houston" by his peers. While attending U of T, he was the boxing champion in his weight class three years straight.
Silas Gaither's three favorite hobbies include kayaking, fly-fishing and backpacking. He describes himself as happy, spontaneous and exciting. Gaither is single and currently lives with two roommates and his dog Max. His birth date is January 28.
Silas became Samburu's dark horse in challenges, leading them to an early three-challenge winning streak. Despite his indispensable status, he was disliked by the elder Samburu alliance for his arrogant behavior. Gaither formed an alliance with Brandon Quinton, Lindsey Richter, and Kim Powers to eliminate their elder members, causing the elders to make their own alliance out of necessity. After losing their first Immunity Challenge in Day 8, the two conflicting alliances clashed at their first Tribal Council, where the younger members wore "unity necklaces", while the elders had none. The clash carried over at the vote, where it ended in a 4-4 tie vote between Richter and elder alliance member Carl Bilancione. When the revote did not help, a tiebreaker challenge commenced, with Carl losing.
After Carl's elimination, Silas and his alliance partners congratulated themselves for having a voting advantage over the older alliance, having to continue rubbing the elders in the wrong way as they continue to slack around camp, while the elders are doing all the chores. After losing yet another Immunity Challenge in Day 12, Silas plead to the elders to continue voting on Lindsey to keep his alliance strong (should the younger members will be in jeopardy during a possible future tie, only Lindsey will be vulnerable since she was the only one from the pact that has votes). The remaining elders felt that the plan will not benefit them one way or another, they decided to vote Silas at Tribal Council, making him vulnerable in future votes as well (though yet again losing one of their members, Linda, in the process).
Feeling secured over what they thought was their impending victory over the older alliance, the younger alliance was devastated of what happened on Day 13. On that fateful day, both tribes were to sent three of their own for "a quest." Silas sent himself, Teresa, and Frank, the two remaining members of the elder alliance. Things were turned on its head when Jeff instructed them, along with Boran's representatives to switch tribes, much to Silas' chagrin, for he will now compete against his allies. Upon reaching Boran, Silas wasted no time to persuade his new tribemates to eliminate Frank and Teresa. Unknown to him, Teresa was also working to oust him. Frank and Teresa swore loyalty to Boran if they eliminated Silas first. Teresa then proposed to forfeit the next Immunity Challenge to vote him off. During the Immunity Challenge, the tribe followed the plan while Silas was frantically performing. Back at camp, Silas then approached Ethan and Clarence and told lies about Frank being devious and untrustworthy. But at Tribal Council, Silas' lobbying backfired when he was blindsided, being unanimously voted out in a 5-1 vote (in large part of Teresa and Frank's continuing vendetta over the younger Samburu alliance for allegedly mistreating them).
|Silas' Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|1||Samburu Tribe Immune|
|2||Samburu Tribe Immune|
|4||Linda|| Frank, Linda,|
|5||Frank|| Clarence, Ethan,|
Frank, Kim J., Teresa
|Voted Off, Day 15|
^1 In The Gods Are Angry, the vote ended with a 4-4 tie between Carl and Lindsey, forcing a revote. Silas did not change his vote on the revote.
- In early 2002, Silas, along with all of his Africa castmates appeared on Late Night with David Letterman where they would present the top 10.
- After Africa, Silas worked in some movies and TV series. Also participated in ad campaigns and commercials.
- On January 9, 2010, Silas attended Survivor's 10-year anniversary party.
- Silas opened restaurants along with Survivor: Nicaragua contestant Benry Henry, in Santa Monica and Los Angeles.
- Currently, he works with pharmaceuticals.
- Silas was the youngest member of Samburu and the youngest male contestant in Survivor: Africa.
- Despite his occupation being announced as "Germantown bartender" in the show, Silas said in an interview he never was a bartender in Germantown.
- Silas's luxury item was his pillow.
- Silas' nickname was Chip, apparently because of his amateur boxing career. Because his father used to be a boxer too, people said he was "a chip off the old block." When Frank Garrison voted against Silas at the fourth Tribal Council he wrote on his ballot "Silas a.k.a. Chip."
- Silas is the first victim of a game twist. He was eliminated due to the first ever tribal switch.
|Survivor: Africa Castaways|