|Filming Location||Koror, Palau, Micronesia|
|Season Run||February 17, 2005 – May 15, 2005|
|Filming Dates||October 27, 2004 – December 4, 2004|
|Tribes|| ██ Koror|
|Returnees|| Bobby Jon Drinkard (11)|
Stephenie LaGrossa (11, 20)
Tom Westman (20)
Survivor: Palau is the tenth season of Survivor. It was filmed in the island-country of Palau in the Micronesia subregion of Oceania. The main theme of the season was the Pacific Theatre of World War II.
Survivor's 10th season earned the show a Primetime Emmy Award nomination in 2005.
Applications were due June 22, 2004. Around 800 applicants were selected for an interview between the latter part of July and August. Out of these 800, 48 were chosen as semi-finalists for an interview in Los Angeles during September. From these semi-finalists, 20 were chosen to participate the show between October to December 2004.
- Expanded Cast: This is the first season to feature twenty contestants.
- Schoolyard pick and elimination: The contestants start the game by competing for two individual immunity necklaces awarded to the first man and the first woman to reach them. The winners then pick one member of the opposite sex to join their tribe and add another contestant to it. The last man and the last woman who are not picked are eliminated from the game.
- Double Tribal Council: On one occasion, both tribes have to vote somebody out of the game.
- Tiebreaker challenge: A fire-starting contest is held in case of a tie or if there are only two people left on a tribe.
- No Merge: Ulong was absorbed into its rival tribe after being reduced to only one member.
- Exile Island: Exile Island is introduced for the first time. Used only once as punishment for a loser of a challenge, the exiled contestant is sent to a remote location with minimum supplies to live there for a certain period of time.
|Original Tribe||Post-Absorption Tribe|
23, Dallas, TX
55, Ulysses, PA
38, Houston, TX
|Ulong|| 1st Voted Out|
22, Easley, SC
|Ulong|| 2nd Voted Out|
21, Ventura, CA
|Ulong|| 3rd Voted Out|
25, Huber Heights, OH
|Ulong|| 4th Voted Out|
56, Bellevue, WA
|Koror|| 5th Voted Out|
24, New Orleans, LA
|Ulong|| 6th Voted Out|
33, Mobile, AL
|Ulong|| 7th Voted Out|
27, Birmingham, AL
|Ulong|| 8th Voted Out|
|Bobby Jon Drinkard|
27, Troy, AL
32, Dallas, TX
|Koror||Koror|| 9th Voted Out|
1st Jury Member
39, Las Vegas, NV
2nd Jury Member
24, Glenolden, PA
|Ulong|| 10th Voted Out|
3rd Jury Member
27, Chicago, IL
|Koror|| 11th Voted Out|
4th Jury Member
46, Solon, OH
|Koror|| 12th Voted Out|
5th Jury Member
32, Encino, CA
|Koror|| 13th Voted Out|
6th Jury Member
23, Key Largo, FL
|Koror|| 14th Voted Out|
7th Jury Member
29, Merced, CA
40, Sayville, NY
The twenty contestants began the game by rowing to the beach they would live on, with the first player of each gender to reach shore winning Immunity. However, once ashore, they received no additional instructions nor were divided into tribes, and began to work on a common shelter. The next day, Jeff Probst announced that they would now pick tribes via a school-yard pick, with those who had won immunity getting to choose first. The last man and woman remaining would immediately leave the game. Eventually, Jonathan Libby and Wanda Shirk did not get picked, and were sent home. The two tribes, Koror and Ulong, then participated in the first Reward/Immunity challenge, with the winner, Koror, deciding to leave their present beach to another one they had not seen.
On paper, it seemed that the young and athletic Ulong tribe had an advantage over the old and slower Koror tribe, but Ulong's lack of teamwork found themselves lose every Immunity Challenge in the first 21 days, decimating them down to a paltry tribe of two: Stephenie LaGrossa and Bobby Jon Drinkard, who faced each other off in a fire-making challenge, with the former emerging victorious. After spending the night alone, she was instructed to travel to camp Koror, and was given a Koror buff, thus having no merge.
Koror developed a core group of five: Tom Westman, Ian Rosenberger, Gregg Carey, Jenn Lyon, and Katie Gallagher, and those on the outside saw them as a threat but were not able to break them. Despite making an immediate strong impression on her new tribe, Stephenie was targeted due to her strength and tenacity. She was able to buy herself some time when the Koror alliance decided to get rid of Coby Archa. A twist sent Janu Tornell, the first to bail from the next Immunity Challenge, to a secluded island where she had to be alone. Tornell found the experience liberating, and decided to quit the game at the next Tribal Council, effectively sparing Stephenie from being voted out. Stephenie's run lasted for only one more round, as she was finally sent home after not winning Immunity or being able to break Koror's bond.
With only Koror members remaining, Tom and Ian worried that they would fall against a potential Immunity threat, Gregg, and his close ally Jenn, and plotted with Caryn Groedel and Katie to vote him out when they had the chance. Katie, feeling betrayed by Ian, became even more distraught when Ian took Tom with him on a reward instead of her as he had promised. Ian attempted to make amends, but Katie still held bad feelings towards him. After eliminating Caryn from the game, the final four opted to allow the next vote to end in a tie between Jenn and Ian. In the subsequent fire-making challenge, it was Ian who prevailed.
At the Final Immunity Challenge, which ran for 12 hours, Ian decided to step down after being burdened by his numerous deceptions. He asked Tom, who won the challenge, to vote him out, making him the final member of the jury.
At the Final Tribal Council, Tom was lauded for his leadership that led Koror to a clean Immunity Challenge sweep, but was barbed for his machismo. Katie on the other hand was appreciated for her honesty, but was more heavily berated for her poor challenge performances, being gossipy and mean towards others beside Tom and Ian. In the end, Tom won the title of Sole Survivor in a 6-1 landslide.
|1||"This Has Never Happened Before!"||February 17, 2005||None||Ian||Jonathan||No Vote1|| Eliminated|
|Koror||Jolanda||6-3|| 1st Voted Out|
|2||"Love Is in the Air, Rats Are Everywhere"||February 24, 2005||Ulong||Koror||Ashlee||6-1-1|| 2nd Voted Out|
|3||"Dangerous Creatures and Horrible Setbacks"||March 3, 2005||Ulong||Koror||Jeff||4-2-1|| 3rd Voted Out|
|4||"Sumo at Sea"||March 10, 2005||Koror||Koror||Kim||5-1|| 4th Voted Out|
|5||"The Best and Worst Reward Ever"||March 16, 2005||Koror||(Ibrehem)||Willard||8-1|| 5th Voted Out|
| 6th Voted Out|
|6||"Jellyfish 'n Chips"||March 23, 2005||Ulong||Koror||James|| 2-2;|
| 7th Voted Out|
|7||"The Great White Shark Hunter"||March 31, 2005||Koror||Koror||Ibrehem||2-1||8th Voted Out|
|8||"Neanderthal Man"||April 7, 2005||Koror||Koror||Bobby Jon||No Vote4|| Eliminated|
|9||"I Will Not Give Up"||April 14, 2005||None||Tom||Coby||7-1-1|| 9th Voted Out|
1st Jury Member
|10||"Exile Island"||April 21, 2005||Caryn, Gregg, Janu, Tom||Tom||Janu||No Vote|| Quit|
2nd Jury Member
|11||"I'll Show You How Threatening I Am"||April 28, 2005|| Survivor|
|Ian||Stephenie||6-1|| 10th Voted Out|
3rd Jury Member
|12||"We'll Make You Pay"||May 5, 2005||Gregg|
|Ian||Gregg||4-2|| 11th Voted Out|
4th Jury Member
|13||"It Could All Backfire"||May 12, 2005||Ian|
|Tom||Caryn||4-1|| 12th Voted Out|
5th Jury Member
|14||"The Ultimate Shock"||May 15, 2005||None||Tom||Jenn|| 2-2;|
|13th Voted Out|
6th Jury Member
|Tom||Ian||1-0|| 14th Voted Out|
7th Jury Member
|Reunion Show||Jury Vote||Katie||6-1||Runner-Up|
^1 Due to not being picked by the initial tribes, Jonathan and Wanda were automatically eliminated.
^2 A tie between Bobby Jon and Angie forced a re-vote; Stephenie and Ibrehem switched their votes to Angie, eliminating her.
^3 A tie between Ibrehem and James forced a re-vote; Stephenie switched her vote from Ibrehem to James, eliminating him.
^4 With Ulong having only two members, a fire-making challenge was held to determine the elimination, which Bobby Jon lost.
^5 With a deadlock tie between Ian and Jenn, a fire-making challenge was held to determine the elimination, which Jenn lost.
|Survivor: Palau Voting History|
|Tribe Selection||Original Tribes||Jury Phase|
|Vote:||No Vote||6-3||6-1-1||4-2-1||5-1||8-1||2-2-1||3-0||2-2||2-0||2-1||No Vote||7-1-1||No Vote||6-1||4-2||4-1||2-2||1-1||1-0||6-1|
- Jonathan and Wanda were automatically eliminated due to not being selected on a schoolyard pick.
- With only Stephenie and Bobby Jon remaining a fire-making challenge was held to determine the elimination.
- With Ian and Jenn tied at the revote, a fire-making challenge was held to determine the elimination.
- For the first time in the series' history, one tribe "conquered" the other by winning every single Immunity Challenge and absorbing the other tribe's last remaining member. Had Koror and Ulong merged, their tribe color would have been green.
- This is the only season where the pre-Jury boots outnumbered those who reach the Jury phase.
- It is the first season of US version of Survivor to have a cast of 20.
- Palau is the first season to eliminate 3 castaways in one episode. Jonathan and Wanda were eliminated in the schoolyard pick, while Jolanda was voted out the day after in a standard Tribal Council scenario.
- This is the last season to not have a Hidden Immunity Idol.
- This season marks the first time to have a tie since Survivor: Marquesas due to the players' concern regarding the controversial purple rock tiebreaker. In Survivor: Samoa, Jeff Probst confirmed that the rock-pulling tiebreaker only applies in votes outside the final four, whereas in a final four situation, the contestants are to compete in a fire-starting challenge.
- This season ties with Survivor: Caramoan for having the most tie votes, with three.
- Palau is the only season to have two fire making challenges occur.
- The font used for the tribes and Palau subtitle is "Stencil."
- Palau is the first season to have Exile Island. However, Exile Island was only used for one episode. Survivor: Panama was the first season to use it as a full season twist.
- Palau is the first season where contestants were eliminated before Day 3.
- With this season having no merged tribe, Palau has the fewest number of tribes, with two.
|Survivor (US) Seasons|
Borneo · The Australian Outback · Africa · Marquesas · Thailand · The Amazon · Pearl Islands · All-Stars · Vanuatu · Palau · Guatemala · Panama · Cook Islands · Fiji · China · Micronesia · Gabon · Tocantins · Samoa · Heroes vs. Villains · Nicaragua · Redemption Island · South Pacific · One World · Philippines · Caramoan · Blood vs. Water · Cagayan · San Juan del Sur
Follow us on Social Media!