|"Method to This Madness"|
After having lost their flint, Hunahpu attempts to negotiate with Jeff Probst for a second one.
|Season:||San Juan del Sur|
|Episode Number:||2/14 (401)|
|Original Release:||October 1, 2014|
|Viewership (in millions):||9.49|
|Previous:||“Suck It Up and Survive”|
|Next:||“Actions vs. Accusations”|
Method to This Madness is the second episode of Survivor: San Juan del Sur.
|“||Previously On... Survivor: Nine pairs of Loved Ones were dropped in Nicaragua to begin the adventure of a lifetime together, but they were quickly pulled apart. And in a brand new twist, Loved Ones were forced to face off for reward with the loser heading to Exile Island. After Jeremy won, he sent Keith to join his wife at Exile Island. At Coyopa, relationships were already forming, while the Hunahpu tribe was getting all the details they could stomach. But at Exile Island, Val caught a break and got the biggest piece of information in the game. At the first Immunity Challenge, Val and Keith returned from Exile Island and Hunahpu won. Facing Tribal Council, it looked like it was the women vs. the men. But a secret alliance between Baylor and Josh kept the vote up in the air. At Tribal Council, Josh went rogue, and Baylor voted for Nadiya breaking apart the women's alliance and leaving Val and Jaclyn all alone. Seventeen are left. Who will be voted out tonight?||”|
|“||At Tribal Council tonight, I voted for Baylor to further advance our alliance in this game. I don't want the guys thinking that I was getting too close to Baylor but I still wanted to keep Baylor as an asset.||”|
|“||Josh comes up to me. He explained to me that it apparently was a game move because he doesn't want the guys to know that me and him are aligned. That was a smart move, in a way, but it was also sketchy and scary that he didn't tell me before he was going to write my name down. I really hope that I can trust him.||”|
|“||We got Jon and we got Drew, and their both like cartoon characters, like they're so crazy. I'm like "Are they listening to themselves?" They're so happy and it's like not real, you know what I'm sayin'? Which for me is good because I know all the girls can't stand 'em already.||”|
|“||I cannot believe we lost the flint. Losing that is not good.||”|
|“||I learned if you're wrong, you admit it, and you admit it emphatically so that people know not only does he know he's wrong, he feels awful about it and he's probably going to do a lot to make up for it. Is that accepted by everyone? I have no idea. I mean, I'm very nervous about it. I'm very nervous about it.||”|
|“||Catching some fish would had been just heavenly. Unfortunately we didn't get it because all we did was trade it for flint. Losing the flint was a pretty big mistake. It was my fault we wasted our chance out of fishing gear.||”|
|“||I would have said I think there's no other bond besides the mom and a daughter but man, that's twins... uff! And it's really pretty touching to see a tough girl cry. I want to help her.||”|
|“||(weeping) Oh, Nadiya got voted off. She's probably fine and its just that we're not together will be the hard part. Now it's just like really good motivation for me to keep my head in the game and just play hard so that I can just at least go as far as I can.||”|
|“||Just because John does things I don't like doesn't mean I don't want to work with him because I think that makes him even more of an asset to be used because he's pissing off so many people already that yes, I want him on my team.||”|
|“||Exile Island is not a happy place. It's desolate, you know, it's dry, there's no coconuts. It's not a good place to be. Plus the icing on top is now I'm stuck out here with John Rocker. I know who he is. He used to pitch for the Braves and everything. They were playing against the New York Mets and he was talking about black people, talking about homosexuals, and all this other stuff. I can't even remember exactly what he said but I remember he said racist things. I'm not saying John Rocker is a racist. You can say stuff like that and it'll follow you for the rest of your life. You know, you can change, yeah sure, but it's still gonna follow you, you know what I mean? But now I need him to protect my wife so I'm gonna try to, I'm gonna try to buddy up to him for a little bit. I'm sharing this clue right now.||”|
|“||I just threw out "You take care of Val, I'll take care of Julie" and it'll be good. So I'm just trying to give Val time, on her side, to work some magic but if she's voted out, Julie's gone right after.||”|
|“||Somebody in my tribe was going home tonight and I am in a tight situation because I don't have an Idol and Jaclyn is my one and only alliance. But I'm prepared to make big moves to make sure that I stay in this game.||”|
|“||The challenge was a kick in the butt. I mean it was one of the toughest things I've ever have to watch. I couldn't be prouder of anybody in my life than Kelley. She never quit. She was down. Her tribe was down. She gave her tribe the win and unfortunately it was the wrong tribe.||”|
|“||Right now, I am in a tight situation because I don't have an Idol. I don't have anything. I am just lying. I have no choice. I have to play big or I'm going home.||”|
|“||Val's claiming to have two Idols and I've seen the clue so I think at this point I need to get off my ass and start looking for Idols. The clue I got said "Dig, Well, North, Seven." So I'm thinking, well, seven paces north, dig. So, I'm going to give it a shot and see what we can find. Hope something good turns up. Right now, all I've got is rocks.||”|
|“||And Bingo, boys! Here's what Johnny Rock been looking for. I found, at least, an extra 3 days in the game. Wear it with pride. Tends to be the athlete types always make it right before the merge and then, they're gone so maybe, I would love to save this to about 4th or 5th Council, play it and go ahead and take myself to the merge. But this has bought me some extra time. Now I need to figure out a way to protect Val.||”|
|“||I did make a promise to Jeremy. If I want to ensure Julie's safety I gotta ensure Val's safety. So, she play's her Idol tonight, she should be fine.||”|
|“||I mean, this is like an Oscar winning moment. I don't have the Idol but it doesn't even matter because 3 of them vote Baylor, and Jackie and I vote Baylor. That's 5 against Baylor. I know me and Jaclyn are safe.||”|
|“||All of a sudden, John and Val just walk off together. They never walked off together. Like, just those two? I kinda wanna know what's going on about that and I don't think he's being honest with me. Splitting a vote is definitely risky at this point in the game because we do have some people on our team that you wonder about sometimes. So tonight, what it ends up coming down to is what do I think is going to get me to the top.||”|
Reward (Hero Duel)
Challenge: Parallel Universe
One person from each tribe will balance a ball on a disk attached to a pole as they maneuver through a series of obstacles. If the ball drops, they must go back to the start. Once they finish that phase, they must roll three balls and land them in a series of targets. The first person to finish wins reward.
Reward: Fishing gear (exchanged for flint)
Winner: Hunahpu (Julie McGee chose Jeremy Collins to accompany John Rocker to Exile Island).
|Reward Challenge (Hero Duel): Parallel Universe|
Drew, Jeremy, Jon, Keith, Kelley, Missy, Natalie, & Reed
Alec, Baylor, Dale, Jaclyn, Josh, Val, & Wes
Challenge: Sumo at Sea
Each tribe will square off one-on-one sumo style. In each round, each tribe must choose a member, with each tribe's representative must be of the same gender. Using a padded bag, each person will try and knock their opponent off the platform and into the water. The first tribe to score five points wins immunity.
|Immunity Challenge: Sumo at Sea|
Drew, Jeremy, Jon, Keith, Kelley, Missy, Natalie, & Reed
Alec, Baylor, Dale, Jaclyn, John, Josh, Val, & Wes
Baylor groans while holding up the parchment with Val's name written down.
|“||(voting for Baylor) I've got a nice five guys alliance. You're sweet as you can be, but you gotta go.||”|
|“||(voting for Val) I just wanna see that Idol, girl.||”|
Voting Confessionals (Revote)
|“||(voting for Val) I told you to play your Idol 'cause I told you what was gonna happen. Now you're gonna make me look like a liar to your husband.||”|
|“||I feel like I've played big, made big moves, considering that I wasn't with the tribe for two days. It worked for a little while, I wish it would've worked for longer. But I'm happy with what I did. And I think that Jeremy seeing me gone will be a shock to him initially, but I think it will make him go harder in this game, and I think it will inspire him. So. I'm happy with that.||”|
Still In the Running
| || || |
- A deleted scene posted on CBS.com reveals more about the dynamics between Val Collins and her closest ally Jaclyn Schultz. On Day 5, while walking on the beach, Jaclyn talks about having gone to Tribal Council first and that it's good to be over it, while the other tribe still has to go through it. Val then tells Jaclyn that she didn't find the idol and shows a fake idol that she made, as both go to look for the idol at the water well with Val's clue.
- A deleted scene posted on CBS.com shows Val and Alec Christy by the bonfire after the Tribal Council. Val tells Alec that she found an idol on Exile Island and with it, a clue to another idol in Coyopa's camp that she found as soon as she got there. In a confessional, Val says that as the all-girls allaince didn't work, she had to make stuff up to save herself. She says that the guys may not beleive that she has an idol or two, but they will not bet on it. Alec says in a confessional that the guys were planning to take the girls out one-by-one, but Val having two idols changes the game.
- A deleted scene posted on CBS.com shows Jeremy Collins and John Rocker during the night they spent at Exile Island. In confessionals, Jeremy and John talk about the difficult to sleep with all the mosquitoes and crabs at the island.
- A deleted scene posted on CBS.com shows Val warning Alec, Josh Canfield, and Dale Wentworth that Baylor Wilson was playing both sides. In a confessional, she says that she is "all about girl power", but Baylor flipped leaving only Jaclyn on her side, and she learned who deserves loyalty and who don't and she was "moving on".
- Deleted confessionals from each castaway were posted on CBS.com:
- Not The Sharpest Crayons: Kelley Wentworth talks about Drew Christy's and Jon Misch's actions at camp. Kelley says that Jon and Drew are getting more "stupid" by doing push-ups and exercises before the challenges instead of saving energy and being both "like fraternity brothers."
- I See Where The Tears Came From: Josh talks about Natalie Anderson's reaction when she found out that Nadiya Anderson was voted out. Josh says that when Natalie started to cry, he also felt emotional because he imagined what Reed Kelly was going to feel if he didn't have show up at the Exile Arena. Josh finishes saying that the experience of Natalie and Nadiya being separated for the first time will probably help them to be more independent of each other.
- The Twist In This Game: Missy Payne talks about Natalie seeing that Nadiya had been voted out and that she put herself in her place. Missy finishes saying that this is the twist of the game and it's a lot harder then playing against unknown people, and she hopes that Natalie can get through it and focus on the game.
- I Was Definitely Nervous: Jaclyn talks about seeing Jon going against John in the Immunity Challenge. Jaclyn says that she was nervous to see her boyfriend going against a bigger guy, but she knew that Jon had the skillset from his background as a wrestler and tae kwon do fighter to defeat John. Jaclyn says that she was happy for Jon because she knew that the win was important for him and finishes saying that John was supposed to be Coyopa's best physical athlete, but he lost two challenges in a row.
- It Was So Hard: Baylor talks about going against Missy in the Immunity Challenge. Baylor says that the headbutt that Missy accidentally gave her helped her to feel angry and defeat her mother at the challenge. She says that knowing all the stuff that Missy went through, it was hard to make her "feel more pain" even in a challenge, and at the end it was an equal match.
- A Little Less Stress: Jon talks about Julie McGee going against John at the Reward Challenge and the negotiation with Jeff Probst for a new flint. Jon says that he was worried about Julie having to go against John at the Reward Challenge, but as the challenge went, he saw that it was much easier for Julie to go through the course and win. He then says that they should have bargained with Jeff before the challenge and he thinks that Jeff felt like he was being used by the tribe, but that wasn't their intention. He finishes saying that it would be good to have the fishing gear and catch some fish, but at least now they have a flint.
- Just Got To Roll With It: Drew Christy talks about having left the fishing gear for a flint. Drew says that he needs protein and it would be good to catch some fish, and he wish they had taken better care of their tools. He finishes saying that that wasn't his decision, but he would not "make a big deal about it".
- I'm Sitting Pretty: Wes Nale talks about Coyopa's performance in the Immunity Challenge. Wes says that when he saw Jeremy without his shirt, he looked more "like an Abercrombie model" and he was sure that he could beat him, and how having beated Jeremy make him feels good. He then discusses about his tribe's performance, saying that the only guy besides him who won their match was Dale Wentworth, and how the girls were much better than the guys at that challenge. He finishes saying that he was not worried about going to Tribal Council.
- I Kicked Butt: Julie talks about her performance in the Reward Challenge against John. Julie says that she thought it was strange that John wanted to perform in that challenge because of his height, and that in the moment that she saw the challenge she knew that she could do well in it. She says that maybe John was with his morale low and wanted to prove a point, but she "proved back". Julie says that she was emotional after the challenge because she wanted to prove her worth for her tribe. She finishes saying that she thinks that John was happy for her and that he would've felt bad if she had lost.
- I Could Never Be Prouder: Dale talks about the Immunity Challenge and Kelley's performance. Dale says that the challenge was brutal. He says that his favorite match was between Wes and Jeremy, and the worst for him was the one Jaclyn and Kelley. He says that he has cheered on Kelley's side for 28 years, and then he had to cheer against her. He says that he wanted to go hug her because she won for her tribe, "but unfortunately was the wrong tribe" and then he had to go to Tribal Council. He finishes saying that if he was voted out that night, he would "sleep with a big smile" because he couldn't be more proud about his daughter.
- It Made Me Feel Good: Alec talks about the Hunahpu tribe having to give up their reward. Alec says that fire is the most important thing in the game and he could not believe that the Hunahpu tribe lost their flint. He says that he saw how much Drew wanted the fishing gear but had to leave it, and with the fishing gear still in game, he would love to win it just to piss his brother.
- Past The First Hurdle: Reed talks about not being the first person voted out. Reed says that as a fan of the show, he didn't want to be the first voted out. He talks about the time that it takes to adjust at the first days, and that he had emotional "ups and downs" and the constant overthinking and physical elements of the game.
- Exile Is Not Entirely Bad: John talks about his time on Exile Island. John says the only difference between the Exile and the camp was that on Exile, they didn't have a shelter. He says that the clue to the Hidden Immunity Idol was his main reason to want to go there and he was glad that Jeremy shared the clue with him. He finishes saying that he hopes that Val's clue wasn't the same as his.
- Go As Fas As I Can For Both Of Us: Natalie talks about Nadiya's elimination. Natalie says that she didn't think that she would feel so emotional seeing that her sister was gone, but the hard part is that they weren't together. She says that they were looking forward to compete against each other in challenges and finishes saying that she will use Nadiya's elimination as motivation to go further in the game.
- Fire Over Fishing Supplies: Keith Nale talks about his tribe trading fishing supplies for flint. Keith says that take the flint over the fishing gear was a smart decision because the fire could extinguish at anytime and they would need a flint to start a new one. He says that they can win the fishing supplies at the next challenge, so it was not "a big deal".
- It was revealed by Dale Wentworth during the Immunity Challenge that Day 6 was Kelley Wentworth's 29th Birthday.
- According to Dalton Ross, Hunahpu lost their flint on Day 2.
- J'Tia Taylor's incident with the rice from “Hot Girl with a Grudge (Part 2)” is briefly mentioned by Jon Misch when he discovers that he lost Hunahpu's flint.
- During the Sumo at Sea challenge, Val Collins was disqualified during her face-off against Natalie Anderson due to the continuous elbowing to her opponent. Val said it was accidental.
- When asked on Twitter, Dale revealed that he voted against Val in the initial vote.
- The title of the episode was said by Josh Canfield to Baylor Wilson while explaining having voted for her at the previous Tribal Council.
- This is the second time Josh said the episode title following the previous episode.
- ↑ http://www.tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/10/02/wednesday-final-ratings-modern-family-the-middle-the-goldbergs-black-ish-the-mysteries-of-laura-chicago-p-d-adjusted-down/309952/
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/news/1003244/
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/video/hsm0w_J1_Ie_1gqWR9qYSemPFcGqInIA/survivor-san-juan-del-sur-secret-scene-val/
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/video/luCs4NYQbyblknc8GOkAkL0hqOHytRgW/survivor-san-juan-del-sur-val-talks-to-alec/
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/video/hwNsp_IzsAbWMyGeiNEjxvDCaIB11yc8/survivor-san-juan-del-sur-exile-is-not-a-happy-place/
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/video/zU5d1wte31BGGSTwoeJLcBVf75Z_lHtM/survivor-san-juan-del-sur-val-is-mad-at-baylor/
- ↑ "Bonus Clips". CBS.com. October 2, 2014. http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/video/.
- ↑ http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/survivor-season-29-san-juan-del-sur-premiere/3/
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/news/1003244/
- ↑ https://twitter.com/farmguy69/status/521469174774640640
|Survivor: San Juan del Sur Episodes|
“Suck It Up and Survive” · “Method to This Madness” · “Actions vs. Accusations” · “We're a Hot Mess” · “Blood Is Blood” · “Make Some Magic Happen” · “Million Dollar Decision” · “Wrinkle in the Plan” · “Gettin' to Crunch Time” · “This Is Where We Build Trust” · “Kind of Like Cream Cheese” · “Still Holdin' On” · “Let's Make a Move” · “This Is My Time”