|Born:||October 2, 1988|
|Tribe(s):|| Ometepe |
|Alliance(s):||Stealth R Us|
Matthew "Matt" Wyatt Elrod is a contestant from Survivor: Redemption Island.
Known for his charm, athleticism and religiosity, Matt was voted out second after Rob Mariano noticed his closeness with tribemate and fellow ally, Andrea Boehlke. He managed to win his way back in the game through Redemption Island, making it to the merge. However, a fatal mistake sent him back to Redemption Island, where he was eventually eliminated at the final duel.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Name (Age): Matthew Elrod (22)
Tribe Designation: Ometepe
Current Residence: Nashville, Tenn.
Occupation: Pre-Med Student
Personal Claim to Fame: My decision to lead my own life.
Inspiration in Life: I think that there are so many people worthy of being deemed "a hero" in everyday life that are overlooked. So, I'm going to say people who put others before themselves.
Hobbies: Athletics, reading and exploring.
Pet Peeves: People who act out for attention.
3 Words to Describe You: Mysterious, impulsive and deep.
SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: Any contestant who has played the game with honesty and integrity.
Reason for being on SURVIVOR: I've always wanted to live off the land and I think it would be a fun experience to compete on the show.
Why you think you'll "survive" SURVIVOR: I know what it takes to be a winner.
Why you think you will be the Sole Survivor: I'm athletic, amicable and intelligent. I can also hold my own socially.
Matthew was one of the new contestants elated to see veteran player Rob Mariano draw the Ometepe buff. He was shown as a devout Christian, who would play the game with a high degree of integrity. His 3 closest allies and friends in the game would be Andrea Boehlke, Grant Mattos, and Mike Chiesl, but Matt would betray or be betrayed by all 3 of them.
Following Kristina Kell's secret discovery of the Hidden Immunity Idol, Matthew became part of Rob's newly formed alliance to usurp Kristina's plans of eliminating him. The alliance consisted of Rob Mariano, Grant Mattos, Andrea Boehlke, Natalie Tenerelli, and Ashley Underwood. With most of the tribe following their idol, Rob, the vote was split according as planned, where Kristina's closest ally Francesca Hogi was eliminated.
On Day 5, despite being faithfully aligned with him, Rob noticed that Matthew was seemingly starting to make a budding romantic relationship with fellow alliance partner Andrea Boehlke, a familiar tune for Rob, who was once in that same situation (which eventually lead to his marriage to Survivor: All-Stars winner Amber Brkich). Matthew made a more damaging mistake by shaking hands with the rival Zapatera tribe seconds after Ometepe suffered their second consecutive defeat on Day 5. This gesture irked Rob, who swerved the vote to Matthew's direction. In the end, Rob managed to turn the majority alliance against Matthew, blindsiding him in a 4-2-2 vote, sending him to Redemption Island and also flushing Kristina's Hidden Immunity Idol in the process who played it when Rob scared her into thinking she was being voted out.
However, Matthew became an unstoppable force at Redemption Island, winning every duel, including one where he faced the infamous villain Russell Hantz. On Day 19, he won himself back the game, earning him a spot in the merged Murlonio tribe.
After the merge, Matthew found himself as a swing vote between the majority Ometepe alliance, and the minority Zapatera alliance. He told Rob he wanted to be part of his alliance still, and that he now wanted to go to the final 3 with Grant and Rob. While Matthew easily forgave the very tribe that sent him to Redemption Island, Matthew weighed his options too. He and Andrea were offered a Final Four deal by Zapatera member, Mike Chiesl, if they voted out either Rob or Rob's closest ally Grant Mattos. However, Matthew decided to follow his honor code and told Rob he actually tried to vote him out, ostensibly throwing Andrea, who was also offered the same thing, under the bus. This prompted Rob to have the Ometepe alliance turn on Matthew once again in a 6-5-1 vote, sending him back to Redemption Island, and the Zapatera alliance felt sorry for him. Matt was told a lie by Grant and Rob to vote for Steve Wright, who he was made to believe was the intended target, which would be the deciding vote in Matt receiving 1 more vote than Grant Mattos who all the Zapatera tribe would vote for. Andrea would be the crucial swing vote in voting for Matt instead of her other main ally Grant, and sticking firmly to the Ometepe side.
Matthew's second go-around at Redemption Island was not as eventful as his first one, as Mike dominated in the duels, while Matthew himself only finished second. After being blindsided on Day 33, Andrea would arrive at Redemption Island, and get into a heated debate with Matt about his recent blindside. Matt would face especially tough competition in the final duel against Mike Chiesl, the just recently blindsided (on Day 35) Grant Mattos, and Andrea Boehlke. On Day 36, Matthew was not able to return to the game for a second time, when Andrea, who was voted out four days ago, won the final duel, sending Matt to the jury in 7th place.
At the Final Tribal Council, Matthew berated Rob for his duplicitous game play, but ultimately voted for him, putting it down largely to the lack of other respectable options with Rob purposely having dragged Natalie Tenerelli and Phillip Sheppard as the other 2 finalists.
|Matthew's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|2||Phillip|| Ashley, Grant,|
|Voted Off, Day 5|
|3||On Redemption Island|
|Returned, Day 19|
|8||Steve|| Andrea, Ashley, Grant,|
Natalie, Phillip, Rob
|Voted Off, Day 21|
|9||On Redemption Island|
|Eliminated, Day 36|
| Voted for|
- Matt appeared in the music video for the song You Lie by The Band Perry.
- Matt is now acting under the stage name, "Wyatt Nash" (a play on his middle name, "Wyatt" and "Nash", for Nashville, his hometown). His landed recurring character roles in Pretty Little Liars and Hollywood Heights. Elrod also portrayed Christopher in the television film adaptation of the novel, Petals on the Wind.
- On August 3, 2015, Matt announced on his Instagram he will be playing the role of Ryan Kelly in the adaption of Karen Kingsbury's novel The Bridge.
- Matt appeared on the sixth episode of the ABC sitcom Dr. Ken which aired on November 6, 2015 playing a Hot Doctor.
- Matt is set to appear on the 2017 comedy TV series Dear White People in a recurring role as Kurt Fletcher.
- Matt is the first person to be voted out on Day 5.
- Matt is the first contestant to return from Redemption Island.
- Though he did not win any challenges as part of Ometepe, he did win the most Redemption Island duels, winning ten of eleven. He also spent the most time on Redemption Island, spending there 29 days of his 36-day run.
- Matt was referrenced in the Survivor: South Pacific episode "Reap What You Sow" by Christine Shields Markoski, who said "It would be great if I pulled a Matt and returned to the game."
- Matt is the first of two contestants to return from Redemption Island, but eventually lose a duel - resulting in their elimination, with the other being Laura Morett. Andrea Boehlke, Ozzy Lusth, and Tina Wesson also returned from Redemption Island, but never lost a duel.
- Matt is also the only person to participate in every single duel at Redemption Island (in his season and overall).
- Matt has the record for longest Redemption Island winning streak at 10 consecutive wins.
- Matt turned down the offer to appear for a second time in Survivor: Caramoan as a favorite.
- After losing the duel to him, Krista lent to Matthew her luxury item: a bible.
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/52443/
- ↑ http://projectmobius.blogspot.com/2011/06/freaky-friday-survivor-redemption.html
- ↑ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4879415/
- ↑ http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_redemption_island/2014_May_27_wyatt-nash-matt-elrod
- ↑ http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/23/petals-on-the-wind-rose-mciver-wyatt-nash/
- ↑ https://instagram.com/p/571tb5PtBJ/
- ↑ https://instagram.com/p/9zapHGPtOz/
- ↑ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5155372/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_White_People_(TV_series)
|Survivor: Redemption Island Castaways|