|Born:||January 24, 1949|
|Occupation:||Retired Police Officer|
|The Australian Outback|
Maralyn "Mad Dog" Hershey is a contestant from Survivor: The Australian Outback.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Maralyn Hershey spent 26 years with the Metropolitan Police Department of Washington, D.C., having become one of the first women to be assigned to street patrol. Over the course of her tenure, she was promoted from Sergeant to Lieutenant to Captain and ultimately, Inspector. She is most proud of her promotion from Captain to Inspector, when she served as Commanding Officer of MPD Communications 911 for Washington, D.C. She retired in May 1996. During her career, Hershey received over 70 letters of commendation and four Incentive Awards for Outstanding Performance of Duty.
An avid rider and competitor, Hershey enjoys showing her horse, G-Man, in various competitions in her area. Approximately two years ago, Hershey fractured two ribs from a horse fall, followed by a fractured pelvic bone from another fall six months after that. Despite her injuries, Hershey got back in the saddle again and continues to compete in regional equestrian competitions. Hershey was the recipient of the 1999 Peninsula Horse Show Association's Annual Sportsmanship Award. For their 2000 season, Hershey was named champion of her Beginner Equitation/Jumping Division.
Hershey describes herself as determined, dramatic, and multi-faceted. In addition to her love for horses, Hershey's other favorite hobbies are yard work and reading. Her perfect day includes riding and jumping her horse, running three miles, mowing her lawn, swimming in her pool, reading a good book, and watching a good science fiction or horror film. Her favorite television shows are The Sopranos and The Corner, and her favorite motion pictures are Dune and Bram Stoker's Dracula. She prefers oldies rock music. Her favorite sports team is The Washington Redskins, while her favorite game is Scrabble.
Originally from Rockville Centre, Long Island (New York), Hershey currently resides in Wakefield, Virginia. In addition to her her horse, Hershey also cares for her walker hound, Eunice Bea, her two goats, Harley and Boomerang, and her donkey, Cappuccino. She is a member of the Federal Bureau of Investigation National Academy, Virginia Horse Show Association, the American Donkey & Mule Society and the Peninsula Horse Show Association. Her birth date is January 24.
Maralyn had some problems during the grueling trek to the Ogakor camp because of her age, but managed to get up. On Day 5, Maralyn became upset when Jerri accused Kel of smuggling beef jerky into the game, claiming they had no right to scour his bag. She tried to get them to apologize to Kel, which they refused. Despite all this, and promising to vote Jerri with Kel, Maralyn decided to vote with the tribe and unanimously eliminate Kel.
She did not trust Jerri after Kel was voted off, and formed a close bond with Tina, who was of a similar age to her. Unfortunately, despite being well liked by her tribe, Ogakor voted her out on Day 9 after her poor performance in the third Immunity Challenge. As a parting gift, Maralyn gave her "Mad Dog" cap to Amber.
|Maralyn's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|1||Ogakor Tribe Immune|
|3||Jerri|| Amber, Colby,|
Jerri, Mitchell, Tina
|Voted Off, Day 9|
- In May 2001, Maralyn appeared as an panelist on Hollywood Squares along with the fellow Castaways for Survivor Week. Maralyn first shared a square with Tina Wesson on May 15. She was an individual panelist in her second episode on the 16th.
- Maralyn is now retired and currently lives in Wakefield, Virginia. In 2007, she ran for Sheriff of her hometown.
- On January 9, 2010, Maralyn attended Survivor's 10-year anniversary party.
- Maralyn's luxury item was a lipstick.
- For her audition tape, she videotaped herself spending 7 weeks living and sleeping inside a trash dumpster.
- Maralyn was the oldest female contestant in The Australian Outback and the oldest member of Ogakor.
- When Maralyn was voted off, she gave Amber Brkich her "Mad Dog" cap.
- While in the Outback, Maralyn mistook fellow Ogakor tribe member Kel Gleason by calling him "Cal."
- Maralyn is the only female member of Ogakor who did not appear on Survivor: All-Stars.
- Maralyn, along with fellow The Australian Outback castaway Rodger Bingham, were the first Survivor castaways to compete on the show who were born in the 1940s.
- Maralyn gave up smoking in order to be on Survivor. During her time in the Outback a nicotine patch was visible on her arm on several occasions. Upon being voted out she stated in her final confessional that she had the urge to smoke a cigarette.
- Maralyn was inspired to learn how to play the didgeridoo after being on Survivor: The Australian Outback. She even played the instrument at the Reunion Show.
|Survivor: The Australian Outback Castaways|