|Namesake:||Tahitian word meaning "southern wind"|
|Tribe Type:||Starting Tribe|
|Day Formed:||Day 1|
|Tribe Status:||Merged with Rotu on Day 20|
|Lowest Placing Member:||Peter Harkey (16/16)|
|Highest Placing Member:||Vecepia Towery (Winner)|
Maraamu has no sigil.
Maraamu was a tribe from Survivor: Marquesas.
They are notable for being the first tribe in the series' history to have an extensive string of challenge losses. Despite their dysfunction in challenges, the tribe managed to keep their spirits up at camp. Their tribe color is yellow.
- Gina Crews, a nature guide from Gainesville, Florida.
- Hunter Ellis, a former Navy fighter pilot from La Jolla, California.
- Patricia Jackson, a truck assembler from Lugoff, South Carolina.
- Peter Harkey, a bowling alley owner from Millis, Massachusetts.
- Rob Mariano, a construction worker from Canton, Massachusetts.
- Sarah Jones, an account manager from Newport Beach, California.
- Sean Rector, a teacher from Harlem, New York.
- Vecepia Towery, an office manager from Portland, Oregon.
- ► Gina Crews
- ► Kathy Vavrick-O'Brien, a real estate agent from Burlington, Vermont.
- ► Neleh Dennis, a student from Layton, Utah.
- ► Paschal English, a judge from Thomaston, Georgia.
- ► Sarah Jones
The Original Maraamu
On paper, it would seem that the yellow Maraamu tribe was the physically stronger tribe than the rival Rotu tribe. But due to communication improprieties in challenges and dysfunction at camp, the tribe immediately diminished down to five members after the first nine days. Peter was eliminated due to his kooky demeanor, despite creating fire using a yoga breathing technique.
Hunter, perceived as the tribe's strongest member, became the leader of Maraamu. With his cohorts, Patricia and Gina (who became fanatic of Hunter's good work ethic), they overworked the rest of the tribe. With this, Rob tried to oppose his leadership by plotting against him, causing further dissension. After losing their second Immunity Challenge, the conflict intensified between the leader and the worker bees. Rob (who felt that he let the tribe down at the challenge) created an insurgency plot against Hunter. With Hunter's alliance targeting the weak Sarah, Rob managed to get Vecepia, Sean, and Sarah's votes to eliminate the eldest member (and Hunter's ally), Patricia. Rob's alliance took total control of the tribe, though they lost another Immunity Challenge. This time, tribe leader Hunter took the fall. Gina was left alone in a precarious position as an alliance outsider.
After the Day 10 tribe swap, Rob, Vecepia, and Sean were switched to the new Rotu, while Gina and Sarah welcomed the newcomers, Kathy, Paschal, and Neleh. Upon reaching camp, the tiny tribe of five bonded very well, despite initially coming from opposite tribes.
Maraamu lost yet again during the fourth Immunity Challenge, where Sarah (who was left alone, away from her alliance) was eliminated for being the most aloof of the five. After Sarah's elimination, the small tribe, now down to four members, made a huge comeback, as Maraamu finally won challenges, with three in a row, though they lost the Day 18 Immunity Challenge, sending them back to Tribal Council. After a heartbreaking Tribal Council, the last original Maraamu, Gina, was eliminated, reducing the tribe to a paltry three members.
On Day 20, the remnants of Maraamu moved to the Rotu camp for the merge.
- The Maraamu camp had access to many natural sources of food. Their beach was abundant with fruit trees, and the tribe also eventually discovered a nest of crabs a short distance away.
- The tribe's name is pronounced "mah-dah-AH-moo". Several of the Maraamu tribe members had difficulty pronouncing the name.
- Maraamu is the first tribe to vote out a man at the first Tribal Council.
- The original Maraamu tribe lost every challenge in which it competed.
- Maraamu is the first pre-merge tribe to attend Tribal Council four times in a row.
- After Gina Crews was voted out, Maraamu became the first tribe ever to contain none of its original members at some point during its existence.
- It was followed in All-Stars by Mogo Mogo, which also contained none of its original members after the tribe switch, and in Game Changers by Nuku, which contained none of its original members after J.T. Thomas was voted out.
- Maraamu is the first of four tribes to have no members remain on the tribe for its entire existence. It was followed by Mogo Mogo, Ta Keo in Cambodia, and Nuku. Of these four tribes, Maraamu is the only tribe to be from a season with new contestants.
- Maraamu has been ranked the second most dysfunctional tribe, after Ulong, in Survivor history by Survivor Oz.