|Born:||May 7, 1987|
|Hometown:||Hermosa Beach, California|
|Alliance(s):|| Matsing Alliance|
Tandang Alliance (affiliated)
|Alliance(s):|| Stealth R Us|
Cool Kids Alliance (affiliated)
Starting off on the dreadful Matsing tribe, Malcolm quickly attached himself to fellow tribemate Angie Layton, and later on to Denise Stapley. After voting out his ally Angie, Denise and Malcolm worked together and ably pitted the remnants of the former Kalabaw and Tandang tribes against one another. This stratagem, along with Malcolm's challenge prowess and easy charm, helped him navigate all the way to the Final Four alongside Denise. The two were forced to turn against one another at this point, due to the close working relationship between Lisa Whelchel and Michael Skupin as well as the fact that both Denise and Malcolm recognized their biggest threat in each other. Lisa and Michael identified Malcolm as the likelier of the two to beat them in the final vote, siding with Denise and voting off Malcolm, though both would ultimately lose to Denise.
Returning as a favorite in Caramoan, Malcolm started off the game as a low-profile member of an alliance led by Phillip Sheppard. He got to the merge unscathed and, in collaboration with Corinne Kaplan and Reynold Toepfer, began laying the groundwork to turn on Phillip. This plan backfired catastrophically as Corinne was pre-emptively blindsided due to the diligence of Phillip's allies, including Dawn Meehan, Andrea Boehlke and eventual winner John Cochran. Though Malcolm's idol-finding prowess soon enabled his embattled Three Amigos alliance to eliminate Phillip in a memorable Tribal Council, he was never able to re-assert control of the game and was voted out on Day 30 for his status as a threat to the majority alliance.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Name (Age): Malcolm Freberg (25)
Name (Age): Malcolm Freberg (25)
Malcolm started on the Matsing tribe. Due to his physical ability and his personality, he started out in a good position and made friends quickly, most notably with Angie Layton, Denise Stapley, and Zane Knight. After observing Russell Swan's actions around camp, Malcolm was the first to bring up potentially voting him off, but added that it had to be at the right time, since on paper Russell did bring some useful qualities to the tribe. Matsing lost the first Immunity Challenge and Malcolm was tempted to vote Russell off but Zane told the tribe that he felt he was at fault in the challenge and Russell had to drag Zane through most of it, so Zane deserved to go. However Zane didn't really want to go, which made the decision a bit more difficult. Malcolm along with the rest of the tribe voted Zane off. Malcolm and Angie began cuddling more and more and Roxanne Morris noticed this and targeted Angie. Malcolm was hoping Denise would realize there is no more between him and Angie than there is between him and Denise, and Denise did realize this and helped him in sending Roxanne out of the game on Day 6. The tribe morale was pretty low in "This Isn't a 'We' Game" since they were already down to four members as opposed to the six on Tandang and six on Kalabaw. The alliance of Malcolm, Angie, and Denise seemed confident Russell would go next if they lost again, but after losing their third Immunity Challenge and seeing both Angie and Russell struggle, it was a tough decision and Malcolm decided to vote against Angie, sending her home. In "Create a Little Chaos", Russell spent a lot of time looking for the idol which concerned Malcolm. Matsing lost their fourth and what turned out to be last challenge on Day 10 and Malcolm and Denise stuck together and voted Russell off after he failed to find the idol. This left Malcolm and Denise with little hope and a big mountain to climb.
Before the Reward Challenge, Malcolm and Denise thought there was a chance of a tribe absorption so they looked for the idol and Malcolm found it first so even though they were in an alliance, it became Malcolm's idol. At the Reward Challenge, Malcolm was separated from Denise and he was absorbed into the Tandang tribe. Malcolm contributed to the Reward Challenge win and received a warm reception from his new tribe. For the next few days, Malcolm enjoyed being on a strong tribe where he made zero enemies and he helped them dominate in challenges, seeing Kalabaw's numbers shrink from seven to four, with Matsing ally Denise managing to stay strong.
Malcolm made the merged tribe Dangrayne and the then-dominant Tandang alliance led by Pete Yurkowski and Abi-Maria Gomes decided to target the returning players Michael Skupin and Jonathan Penner, as well as R.C. Saint-Amour, who appeared to be Michael's biggest ally. Malcolm didn't appear to be in any immediate danger despite being a physical threat except for when Lisa Whelchel accidentally discovered Malcolm's Hidden Immunity Idol when she was doing laundry, forcing them to align with each other. Malcolm voted for Jonathan, although Penner cancelled his votes with his Hidden Immunity Idol, which eliminated RC instead. Due to the antagonistic natures of Abi, Pete, and Artis Silvester, as well as the amount of control they had, Malcolm became part of a new alliance with Jeff Kent, Carter Williams, Penner, and Denise. They needed either Lisa or Michael to flip but Tandang remained strong and voted Jeff out in a close vote on Day 22. That same Tribal Council, Malcolm revealed his Hidden Immunity Idol to his whole tribe, putting a real target on his back for the first time but also gaining the trust of his allies. In "Little Miss Perfect", Malcolm's alliance targeted Artis for being the least likely recipient of Abi's Hidden Immunity Idol (revealed on Day 22 along with Malcolm's) and they fortunately convinced Michael to flip to their side and Artis was blindsided.
In "Whiners Are Wieners", Lisa decided to abandon the doomed Tandang alliance giving Malcolm's alliance enough numbers to split the votes between Abi and Pete as they flushed Abi's idol and eliminated Pete. In the final 7, Lisa and Michael approached Denise and Malcolm (after being denied by Penner) to make a final four deal, in which they accepted. This new core alliance was put to the test when the intended target, Abi, won immunity. The four stuck together and got rid of the perceived biggest threat Penner. Abi was spared once again after Carter was voted off since he was a physical threat, and then Abi was finally voted off after pretending to have an Immunity Idol.
At the Tribal Council where Abi's elimination took place, Malcolm and Denise were called out as threats to win, which concerned Malcolm. Both Malcolm and Denise felt that going to the end with each other was risky and they would have a better chance of winning if they went with Lisa and Michael, who each backstabbed a lot of people to get to the final four. Malcolm won the reward on Day 37 which was an advantage at the Final Immunity Challenge. Even with his advantage though, Malcolm was the first person eliminated from the challenge. Since Michael won immunity, Malcolm still had a chance if he could convince Lisa and Michael to take him to the end over Denise. Ultimately, Malcolm was seen as the bigger threat and was voted off 3-1.
At the Final Tribal Council, Malcolm asked Denise why she played a better game than the other two finalists. He berated her for being an appeasing therapist. Ultimately, however, Malcolm contributed towards his ally's victory by voting for Denise to win, and she became Sole Survivor by a 6-1-1 vote.
|Malcolm's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|5||Tandang Tribe Immune|
|6||Tandang Tribe Immune|
|14||Denise|| Denise, Lisa,|
|Voted Off, Day 38|
| Voted For|
^1 In Not the Only Actor on This Island, Jonathan used a Hidden Immunity Idol, negating Malcolm's vote against him.
Malcolm returned as one of ten Favorites that comprised the Bikal tribe. Malcolm was immediately recruited to Phillip Sheppard's second incarnation of the Stealth R Us alliance, along with Andrea Boehlke, John Cochran, Dawn Meehan, and Corinne Kaplan, receiving the codename "The Enforcer". The alliance enjoyed their majority as they voted out Francesca Hogi in a 6-4 vote at the first Tribal Council. As the other Stealth R Us members were developing close relationships, leaving Malcolm and Corrine in the outs, Malcolm and Corinne also developed a close friendship within the alliance, and even found the Hidden Immunity Idol together on Day 4. Malcolm and Corrine's close relationship led the other Stealth R Us members to keep a keen eye on them, targeting Corinne if ever they would lose the Immunity Challenge; however, the Favorites continued to dominate.
Bikal enjoyed three consecutive Immunity wins, only losing Brandon Hantz after he had dumped Bikal's rice and beans in a fit of rage after a heated argument with Phillip, which resulted in Bikal's mutual forfeit of Immunity to vote him out.
After Brandon's departure, Malcolm (along with Brenda Lowe, Andrea, and Erik Reichenbach) were swapped to Gota where they joined members Eddie Fox, Sherri Biethman, and Reynold Toepfer. On this new tribe, Malcolm enjoyed two more consecutive Immunity wins while being recruited to the Cool Kids Alliance by Reynold, who confessed he had a Hidden Immunity Idol to prove his loyalty.
On Day 20, the two tribes merged into Enil Edam, a name coined by Malcolm who wanted to name the tribe after his mother, Madeline (Enil Edam is Madeline backwards). Malcolm rejoined with Corinne, with Malcolm telling her he had Eddie, Erik, and Reynold while Corinne said she had Michael Snow. These numbers put them up to six. Corinne, however, was blindsided in a 7-5 vote after Dawn relayed information to Phillip about Corinne's approach to her about the counter alliance.
At the next Tribal Council, the remaining Cool Kids Alliance Members decided to vote for Andrea, seeing her as a strategic threat. However, a speech given by Phillip at Tribal Council began to unnerve Malcolm, who told Reynold to use his Hidden Immunity Idol on him as he was the one going home. Instead, Michael went home in a 7-3-1 vote after Andrea persuaded Stealth R Us to play it safe after catching wind of her being targeted.
Malcolm continued his luck of finding Hidden Immunity Idols as he found a second one shortly before Tribal Council, which was witnessed by Dawn and Andrea as he found the Idol in front of them. Stealth R Us had no choice but to target Eddie, the only vulnerable member of the Three Amigos. However, at Tribal Council, Stealth R Us was left stunned when Malcolm pulled out two Hidden Immunity Idols, giving one to himself and Eddie. This left Stealth R Us with no choice but to target each other. Stealth R Us stuck to their plan of splitting the votes between Eddie and Malcolm, but after they played the Idols, Phillip left in a 4-0-0 vote.
Malcolm and Reynold decided their best bet was to recruit Sherri and Erik to their alliance, which would give them a 5-4 advantage over the remaining Stealth R Us members. At the Survivor Auction, Malcolm bid $480 on a mystery prize which Malcolm could only view for 60 seconds: it was revealed to be the location of the Hidden Immunity Idol. While going off later that day to find it, Andrea became suspicious and followed Malcolm into the woods to have a standoff so that Malcolm couldn't look for the Idol. At the Immunity Challenge, Cochran won, and afterwards Malcolm decided to concoct a lie by saying that he had found the Idol. At Tribal Council, Sherri and Erik stayed loyal to Stealth R Us and forced a 3-3-3 tie between Andrea, Malcolm, and Reynold. After realizing that Malcolm did not have the Idol, Malcolm was voted out in a 6-0-0 vote, becoming the third member of the jury.
|Malcolm's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|2||Bikal Tribe Immune|
|3||Bikal Tribe Immune|
|4||Bikal Tribe Immune|
|6||Gota Tribe Immune|
|7||Gota Tribe Immune|
| Andrea, Cochran, Erik;|
Brenda, Cochran, Dawn,
Eddie, Erik, Sherri3
|Voted Off, Day 30|
| Voted for|
^1 In Cut Off the Head of the Snake, Reynold used a Hidden Immunity Idol on Malcolm, but did not negate any votes against him.
^2 In Zipping Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Malcolm used a Hidden Immunity Idol, negating 2 votes against him.
^3 In Come Over to the Dark Side, the vote ended with a 3-3-3 tie between Malcolm, Andrea, and Reynold, forcing a revote. Brenda, Dawn, Eddie, and Sherri changed their votes to Malcolm on the revote, eliminating him from the game.
- After his first appearance on Survivor aired, Malcolm briefly made a guest appearance on one of CBS's hit daytime shows, The Bold and the Beautiful, as a designer also named Malcolm.
- Malcolm competed and won in Rob Has A Podcast's Mister Survivor competition. He beat Aras Baskauskas and Tyson Apostol for the title.
- In July 2014, Malcolm hosted an online travel series with 20 episodes around the U.S. called Wayfaring.
- In August 2014, Malcolm won the award for Hottest Male in the Reality Awards category.
- On October 9, 2014, he filled in for Jeff Schroeder as host of Survivor After Show, interviewing John Rocker; a week later on October 16, he would again fill in for Jeff while interviewing Drew Christy.
|Statistics of Malcolm Freberg|
|Total votes received:||17|
|Days spent on Redemption Island:||N/A|
- Malcolm mentioned several times on Survivor: Philippines that he was a teacher in Micronesia before becoming a bartender in Hermosa Beach, California.
- He is the only member of Matsing to be on the jury.
- He is the only member of Matsing to be immune from Tribal Council more than once.
- Malcolm is the fourth person to participate in every reward after the merge, after Parvati Shallow of Survivor: Cook Islands, Bob Crowley of Survivor: Gabon, and J.T. Thomas of Survivor: Tocantins.
- He is the only person to do so who has never won. However, Parvati did not win until her second season.
- He experienced 12 rewards in a row, from back to back seasons.
- Malcolm lost 10 lbs. during his time in Philippines.
- Malcolm is one of seven contestants to appear on two back-to-back seasons (the others are: Rupert Boneham, Stephenie LaGrossa, Bobby Jon Drinkard, Amanda Kimmel, James Clement, and Russell Hantz).
- Malcolm is the first to play two back-to-back seasons that both feature Returning Players.
- According to Jeff Probst, Malcolm was considered to be brought back for Survivor: Caramoan when Philippines was still underway, around Day 27. Immediately after his elimination, Jeff approached Malcolm, intending to ask him he wanted to compete again, only to be cut off by Malcolm, who knew what Probst was about to ask.
- Malcolm is the third player to find a Hidden Immunity Idol in multiple seasons, following Russell Hantz and Ozzy Lusth.
- As stated in Caramoan, Malcolm has a mother named Madeline.
- Malcolm named the merged tribe after his mother as he requested Enil Edam; Enil Edam is Madeline spelled backwards.
- Malcolm is one of two players to play two Hidden Immunity Idols in one season, and have neither affect the outcome of Tribal Council. The other is Sandra Diaz-Twine in Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains.
- Malcolm is the lowest placing player to win the Fan Favorite Award at the end of a season.
- Malcolm and Erik Reichenbach are the only two contestants to be on an 8-person jury on multiple occasions.
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/160005/
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/203568/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoupXc6tGFg
- ↑ http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/11/survivor-malcolm-freberg-wayfaring/
- ↑ http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2015/02/26/survivor-castaway-so/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWuNJ5qQ7mk
- ↑ "'Survivor: Caramoan': Jeff Probst reveals when they decided to bring Malcolm back and what they told other players about him". January 22, 2013. http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/22/survivor-caramoan-jeff-probst-malcolm-freberg/. Retrieved January 23, 2013.
|Survivor: Philippines Castaways|
|Survivor: Caramoan Castaways|