|Birth Date||May 5, 1990|
|Tribe(s)|| ██ La Flor |
|Alliance(s)||La Flor Alliance|
Kelly Shinn (also known as Purple Kelly) is a contestant from Survivor: Nicaragua.
Despite lasting 28 days, viewers saw little of Shinn, who held no real story arc during her time in the game. However, her controversial quit along with NaOnka Mixon permanently changed the rules on the jury rights of people who leave the game prematurely.
Name: Kelly Shinn (20)
Tribe: La Flor, Libertad
Current Residence: Mesa, Arizona
Occupation: Nursing Student at the University of Hawaii.
Personal Claim to Fame: Successfully completing my first two years of pre-med/nursing classes at the University of Hawaii. On a smaller scale, I also look at winning homecoming queen as one of my greatest accomplishments.
Inspiration in Life: My dad. He has a beautiful heart and is the hardest worker I know.
Hobbies: Surfing, wake boarding, go-kart racing.
Pet Peeves: Dirty fingernails.
3 Words to Describe You: Vivacious, confident, outspoken.
SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: Elisabeth Hasselbeck because she played with smarts and integrity.
Reason for being on SURVIVOR: It is the opportunity of a lifetime. People dream to do things as great as this.
Why you think you will be the sole SURVIVOR: I know how to play the "social popularity"game.
To avoid confusion with fellow contestant Kelly Bruno, Kelly Shinn was dubbed "Purple Kelly" (or "Kelly Purple"), and was on the younger La Flor tribe. On Day 6, she joined Brenda Lowe's alliance, helping them vote out Shannon Elkins. At the Day 13 Tribe Switch, Purple Kelly remained on La Flor. During this time, Purple Kelly continued to do little else but vote with Brenda and Sash Lenahan.
Purple Kelly made the merge on Day 19, becoming a member of the new Libertad tribe. Overall, Purple Kelly had a weak individual performance during challenges, but won a trip to a volcano with several other players. Though she aided in voting out Alina Wilson and Marty Piombo, Purple Kelly was left in the dark during the Day 27 Tribal Council, as she was the only person that didn't vote off Brenda, voting against Benry Henry instead (the initial plan for Purple Kelly's alliance before the campaign against Brenda).
On Day 28, the rain made Purple Kelly weak once again. After she lost the following Reward Challenge, Purple Kelly stated that wanted to quit the game, along with NaOnka Mixon. Jeff Probst denied their request until Tribal Council that night, giving her time to think over her decision. Many players expressed how they didn't want anyone to quit, especially Holly Hoffman, who said that if she started she should finish. In the end, it wasn't enough to persuade Purple Kelly, as she still ended up quitting after NaOnka, getting large reactions from the three upset Jury members. Since Purple Kelly decided to quit after NaOnka, she technically got 8th place. She also became the 5th member of the Jury.
At the Final Tribal Council, she congratulated the finalists for succeeding where she could not. For Sash, Purple Kelly wanted him to explain how he outwitted the jury in sixty seconds. Sash said he made as many alliances as possible to move forward and tried to own up to his actions. Although she liked the honesty, Purple Kelly was not satisfied with his answer. She ultimately voted for Fabio Birza to win, essential for making him the Sole Survivor.
|Kelly S.'s Voting History|
|Episode|| Kelly S.'s|
| Voted Against|
|1||La Flor Tribe Immune|
|3||La Flor Tribe Immune|
|4||La Flor Tribe Immune|
|5||La Flor Tribe Immune|
|6|| Kelly B.;|
|Quit, Day 28|
| Voted For|
^1 In Worst Case Scenario, the vote ended with a 3-3 tie between Marty and Kelly B., forcing a revote, where the only eligible for elimination were Kelly B. and Marty. At the revote, Kelly S. still voted for Kelly B.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.
- Purple Kelly and NaOnka Mixon became the first contestants to quit at the same tribal council.
- Kelly's nickname comes from the purple highlights in her hair. This was done to distinguish her from Kelly Bruno.
- At the Survivor: Nicaragua Reunion Show, Jeff Probst revealed that after Purple Kelly and NaOnka's simultaneous voluntary exits, the producers decided that, if a contestant quit the show, the producers would deliberate whether or not put the quitter on the Jury. Jeff further revealed that the producers will reserve the right to withhold the quitter's consolation prize.
- If Purple Kelly and NaOnka had not been permitted to be on the Jury and the same vote had occurred, Chase Rice would have won the season.
- Kelly is the youngest contestant to quit Survivor.
- Kelly is the only contestant in Survivor: Nicaragua that never got a vote against her.
- In one Tribal Council, she couldn't get the cap off the pen to write her vote with.
- Kelly's first confessional was only in Episode 7. This is the latest first confessional in the history of the show.
- Kelly is the highest ranking original La Flor female.
- Kelly is the youngest contestant to compete on Survivor: Nicaragua.
- She is the first contestant born in the 1990s.
- Aside from Kelly Wiglesworth, Shinn is the only contestant named Kelly to not have been voted out; Kelly Wiglesworth made it to final tribal council.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.
|Survivor: Nicaragua Castaways|