|Birth Date||May 5, 1990|
|Tribe(s)|| ██ La Flor |
|Alliance(s)||La Flor Alliance|
Kelly Shinn (also known as Purple Kelly) is a contestant from Survivor: Nicaragua.
Despite her placement, viewers saw little of Shinn, who held no real story arc during her time in the game. Her quit alongside NaOnka Mixon however, changed the rules on how people who leave the game prematurely.
Name: Kelly Shinn (20)
Tribe: La Flor, Libertad
Current Residence: Mesa, Arizona
Occupation: Nursing Student at the University of Hawaii.
Personal Claim to Fame: Successfully completing my first two years of pre-med/nursing classes at the University of Hawaii. On a smaller scale, I also look at winning homecoming queen as one of my greatest accomplishments.
Inspiration in Life: My dad. He has a beautiful heart and is the hardest worker I know.
Hobbies: Surfing, wake boarding, go-kart racing.
Pet Peeves: Dirty fingernails.
3 Words to Describe You: Vivacious, confident, outspoken.
SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: Elisabeth Hasselbeck because she played with smarts and integrity.
Reason for being on SURVIVOR: It is the opportunity of a lifetime. People dream to do things as great as this.
Why you think you will be the sole SURVIVOR: I know how to play the "social popularity"game.
To avoid confusion with fellow contestant Kelly Bruno, Kelly Shinn was dubbed "Purple Kelly" (or "Kelly Purple"), and was on the younger La Flor tribe. On Day 6, she joined Brenda Lowe's alliance, helping them vote out Shannon Elkins. At the Day 13 Tribe Switch, Kelly S. remained on La Flor with Brenda, Kelly B., Sash Lenahan, and Fabio Birza. During this time, Kelly S. continued to do little else but vote with Brenda and Sash.
Kelly S. made the merge on Day 19, becoming a member of the new Libertad tribe. Overall, Kelly S. had a weak individual performance during challenges, but won a trip to a volcano with Fabio, NaOnka Mixon, Chase Rice, and Jane Bright. Though she aided in voting out Alina Wilson and Marty Piombo, Kelly S. was left in the dark during the Day 27 Tribal Council, as she was the only person that didn't vote off Brenda, voting against Benry Henry instead.
On Day 28, the rain made Kelly S. weak once again, and Fabio tried to comfort her. After she, Fabio, Sash, and Jane lost the reward challenge, Kelly S. stated that wanted to quit, along with NaOnka. Jeff denied their request until Tribal Council that night, giving her time to think over her decision. Many players expressed how they didn't want anyone to quit, especially Holly Hoffman, who told Kelly S. that her daughter wanted to quit cross country but she didn't let her, saying that if she started she should finish, and her daughter became good at it. But it wasn't enough to persuade her, as Kelly S. still ended up quitting after NaOnka, getting large reactions from three upset jury members. Since Kelly S. decided to quit after NaOnka, she technically got 8th place. She became the 5th member of the jury, which sparked controversy amongst fans. She voted for Fabio to win, essential for making him the Sole Survivor.
|Kelly S.'s Voting History|
|Episode|| Kelly S.'s|
| Voted Against|
|1||La Flor Tribe Immune|
|3||La Flor Tribe Immune|
|4||La Flor Tribe Immune|
|5||La Flor Tribe Immune|
|6|| Kelly B.;|
|Quit, Day 28|
| Voted For|
^1 In Worst Case Scenario, the vote ended with a 3-3 tie between Marty and Kelly B., forcing a revote, where the only eligible for elimination were Kelly B. and Marty. At the revote, Kelly S. still voted for Kelly B.
- Purple Kelly and NaOnka Mixon became the first contestants to quit at the same tribal council.
- Kelly's nickname comes from the purple highlights in her hair. This was done to distinguish her from Kelly Bruno.
- At the Survivor: Nicaragua Reunion Show, Jeff Probst revealed that after Purple Kelly and NaOnka's simultaneous voluntary exits, the producers decided that, if a contestant quit the show, the producers would deliberate whether or not put the quitter on the Jury. Jeff further revealed that the producers will reserve the right to withhold the quitter's consolation prize.
- If Purple Kelly and NaOnka had not been permitted to be on the Jury, and the same vote had occurred, Chase Rice would have won the season.
- Kelly is the youngest contestant to quit Survivor.
- Kelly is the only contestant in Survivor: Nicaragua that never got a vote against her.
- In one Tribal Council, she couldn't get the cap off the pen to write her vote with.
- Kelly's first confessional was only in Episode 7. This is the latest first confessional in the history of the show.
- Kelly is the highest ranking original La Flor female.
|Survivor: Nicaragua Contestants|
Alina Wilson · Benry Henry · Brenda Lowe · Chase Rice · Dan Lembo · Fabio Birza · Holly Hoffman · Jane Bright · Jill Behm · Jimmy Johnson · Jimmy Tarantino · Kelly Bruno · Kelly Shinn · Marty Piombo · NaOnka Mixon · Sash Lenahan · Shannon Elkins · Tyrone Davis · Wendy DeSmidt-Kohlhoff · Yve Rojas