|"Keep Hope Alive"|
|Episode Number:||3/15 (324)|
|Original Release:||March 2, 2011|
|Viewership (in millions):||11.32|
|Previous:||"You Own My Vote"|
|Next:||"Don't You Work for Me?"|
Keep Hope Alive is the third episode of Survivor: Redemption Island.
Moments after being voted out from Ometepe, Matt Elrod was sent to Redemption Island, where he found Francesca sleeping in her hut. Matt woke Francesca, who was shocked upon learning Rob had cannibalized his own alliance member, and she wondered why her nemesis Phillip was not voted out. Minutes after being blindsided by Rob, Matt vented: "There's a little anger. I don't know, I guess I just trusted Boston [Rob] too soon." But still keeping his spirits up, he concluded: "What an opportunity to become the underdog and come back from Redemption Island and finish this game with a million dollars."
As the Ometepe was about to sleep, Rob lauded himself for orchestrating Matt's blindside. He said in a confessional: "Tonight could not have gone any better. Not only did we blindside Matt, we were able to have Kristina get rid of her Immunity Idol and Phillip's a loyal soldier." Rob then congratulated Phillip for his big help at the last vote and invited him to replace Matt in his alliance. Meanwhile, Rob was worried about Andrea's feelings after eliminating Matt, and was eager not to make her feel vulnerable.
At Redemption Island, Matt and Francesca found a note in their Tree Mail, notifying them about their impending duel. The note included a map that leads to the Redemption Island Arena, where the duels will take place. Meanwhile, the tribes also received a Tree Mail, instructing them to send two members to be spectators at the duel.
Challenge: Jail Break
Locked in a makeshift jail cell, players must use sticks and rope to create a long pole to retrieve three keys. These keys are to be used to open three locks. First person to open all three locks and get through their door stays alive.
Winner: Matt Elrod
Challenge: Spin Cycle
Three members of each tribe will be strapped to a large wheel. Three other members will spin the wheel. As the wheel turns, the strapped tribemates will be submerged in a tub full of water, where they must grab a mouthful of water then spit it onto a tube. once the tube gets filled with water, a ball will drop from it. The last tribe member will then solve a slide puzzle. When finished, the puzzle will turn into a table maze, where the puzzle maker must lead the ball into a pocket. First puzzle maker to finish this feat would win immunity for their tribe.
Reward: Comfort items (tarp, chairs, pillows, blankets, and a lantern).
| Redemption Island|
Francesca does not have final words.
| Tribal Council 3:|
Ralph (3 votes)
Krista, Russell, Stephanie
Russell (3 votes)
Mike, Ralph, Steve
Stephanie (3 votes)
David, Julie, Sarita
Ralph, Russell, Stephanie (3 votes each)
Ralph showed his vote to the camera but did not give a confessional. Revote confessionals are unavailable.
|“||(voting for Stephanie) I'm voting for you. You are so misguided and so rude.||”|
|“||(voting for Ralph) This is my game, sucker.||”|
Still in the RunningEdit
- This episode marked the first three-way tie in the show's history.
- This week's duel was inspired by the challenge held during the Outcast twist.
- With Russell Hantz being voted out, Sandra Diaz-Twine was (until Survivor: Game Changers) the last player to play multiple times and make it to the Final Tribal Council in every season that player has appeared in.
- This episode marks the first time Russell Hantz has been voted out.
- The Tree Mail that was sent to the tribes contained a bag full of stones. If the tribe couldn't make a decision of who would get to witness the duel, they could randomly select them by picking rocks. The two people who got the tribe-colored stones would watch the duel.
- This week's challenge is a throwback of the Immunity Challenge held in "Turf Wars".
- This season marked the latest that the first contestant eliminated left the game; Francesca Hogi left the game on Day 6.
- The episode title is said by Russell Hantz when he is showing Stephanie his "Keep Hope Alive" tattoo. The tattoo originates from Russell's catchphrase from the blindside of Kelly Sharbaugh, back in his first season, Survivor: Samoa.
|Survivor: Redemption Island Episodes|
"You're Looking at the New Leader of Your Tribe" · "You Own My Vote" · "Keep Hope Alive" · "Don't You Work for Me?" · "We Hate Our Tribe" · "Their Red-Headed Stepchild" · "It Don't Take a Smart One" · "This Game Respects Big Moves" · "The Buddy System" · "Rice Wars" · "A Mystery Package" · "You Mangled My Nets" · "Too Close for Comfort" · "Seems Like a No Brainer" · "Reunion"