|Birth Date||March 7, 1968|
|Occupation||Retired Major League Baseball Player|
|Tribe(s)|| Kalabaw |
Jeffrey Franklin Kent is a contestant from Survivor: Philippines.
A born competitor, Kent immediately targeted returning player Jonathan Penner, saying his time was over, and that a new player should win the game. He exercised strong strategic control of the game throughout the pre-merge phase, even teaming up provisionally with Penner in order to keep tabs on the threat posed by the latter's Hidden Immunity Idol. He returned to targeting Penner after the merge, but lost control of the game with extreme suddenness when Penner won a crucial Immunity Challenge and the Tandang Alliance was spooked by the revelation of Malcolm Freberg's hidden idol, as this confluence of events led to his elimination.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Personal Claim to Fame: Being a husband and a father to four kids with the ability to provide them with every opportunity to be successful.
Inspiration in Life: My dad is my hero for instilling in me the desire to be the best you can in all that you do, and setting a great example for a happy family.
Hobbies: Hunting, motocross and golf.
Pet Peeves: Stupid people and people who talk too much.
3 Words to Describe You: Competitive, resilient and hard-headed.
If You Could Have 3 Things on The Island What Would They Be and Why?
1) A lounge chair to lounge in and sleep in.
2) My iPod to motivate me and tune things out.
3) A pillow to put my most valuable body part on a soft spot.
SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: Colby Donaldson - for our athletic ability, southern charm and gamesmanship.
Reason for Being on SURVIVOR: To challenge my talents and survival skills under isolated circumstances, and to prove to my family that being resilient pays off.
Why You Think You'll "Survive" SURVIVOR: I enjoy hunting and fishing. I know how to cook outdoors, and I'm good at improvising.
Why You Think You Will Be the Sole Survivor: With my survival skills and instincts, living on an island for 39 days will be easy. Utilizing the other survivors in alliances and/or challenges will take skills that I've mastered throughout my baseball career. Motivating and manipulating people is what I did best in the locker room and on the field.
Kent's Baseball Team History
|Jeff's Team History|
|Toronto Blue Jays||19922|
|New York Mets||1992-19962|
|San Francisco Giants||1997-2002|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||2005-2008|
^1 The logos are from the years that Kent was apart of their franchise. The San Francisco Giants had two logos during the time period Kent was with the team.
^2 During his last years with the Blue Jays and the Mets, he was traded to another franchise partway through the year. The Blue Jays traded Kent to the Mets in 1992 and then the Mets traded Kent to the Indians in 1996.
Jeff was a member of the Kalabaw tribe, they learned they would be joined by returning veteran Jonathan Penner. While attempting to climb onto his tribe's raft, he had a bad fall and ended up hurting his knee, but kept this from his tribe mates in fear they would vote him out if they found out he was injured. Jeff also wanted to hide the fact he was a former Major League Baseball player, but his tribe mate Sarah Dawson recognized him from watching baseball with a friend. Jeff was adamant about not wanting a veteran to win the game, with his tribe mutually agreeing to target Penner first if they lose. This never happened as Kalabaw won the first Immunity Challenge. However, upon learning Penner had the Hidden Immunity Idol, he formed a temporary alliance with him and they rallied Carter Williams to join them (this alliance later gained Denise Stapley after Matsing was absorbed). This started a men vs. women scenario on their tribe, but they avoided Tribal Council on Day 13 (only losing Dana Lambert when she pulled out due to illness). Dawson began to try and toy with Jeff's mind, making comments about baseball while in the tribe's shelter. Dawson was voted out in an unanimous 5-1 vote. After losing the next Immunity Challenge on Day 16, Jeff and Carter originally conspired with Katie Hanson to vote out Penner, but stuck with Penner due to seeing him as beneficial to his game and Katie was voted out 4-1. When the two tribes merged on Day 17, Jeff immediately began to conspire with Tandang's members to vote out Penner. Jeff ended up voting R.C. Saint-Amour as part of a split vote plan, and she left 4-2-0 when Penner played his idol and negated the five majority votes. Jeff (as well as the other 8) still stuck to their plans to vote out Penner, but it was thrown into a tailspin when Penner won Individual Immunity. Jeff found his name being thrown around when Pete Yurkowski began to target him. At the last minute, Jeff and Malcolm attempted to rally Michael Skupin, Penner, Carter, and Denise up to vote out Pete. At a crazy Tribal Council, The Tandang 5 voted out Jeff in a 5-4-1 Tribal Council. Jeff became the second jury member.
At the Final Tribal Council, Jeff voted for Denise to win.
|Jeff's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|1||Kalabaw Tribe Immune|
|2||Kalabaw Tribe Immune|
|3||Kalabaw Tribe Immune|
|4||Kalabaw Tribe Immune|
|8||Pete|| Abi-Maria, Artis,|
Lisa, Michael, Pete
|Voted Off, Day 22|
| Voted For|
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.
- Jeff played 17 years (1992-2008) in Major League Baseball, mostly playing second base.
- He played with a total of 6 teams: the Toronto Blue Jays, New York Mets, Cleveland Indians, San Francisco Giants, Houston Astros, and Los Angeles Dodgers.
- He won the 2000 National League Most Valuable Player Award, and was a five-time All-Star.
- He played in the 2002 World Series as a member of the San Francisco Giants, who lost to the Anaheim Angels in seven games.
- Among the Survivor contestants that have played sports, Kent is the first former MLB player.
- Jeff is the second former MLB player or coach to take part in a reality game show, after Steve Smith, a 3rd Base Coach of the Cleveland Indians who took part in The Amazing Race and finished in 6th place with his daughter, Allie.
- Jeff was mentioned in a Jeopardy! clue on the February 6th, 2013 episode in the Double Jeopardy! Round under the category "I Saw That on TV" for $400.
- Jeff was the lowest placing male member of the Kalabaw tribe.
- Jeff is the first man to be voted out of an 11-person tribe.
- Jeff only voted out women successfully.
- The first time he voted for a man, he was eliminated at Tribal Council.
- In addition, he successfully voted for a woman to win the title of Sole Survivor.
- Jeff was offered a spot to return for Survivor: Cambodia, but he declined.
- Jeff lost 22 lbs. during his time in Survivor: Philippines.
- View his stats here.
|Survivor: Philippines Castaways|