|Birth Date||December 31, 1975|
|Occupation|| Fashion model;|
Ivy League Graduate
|Tribe(s)|| ██ Pagong |
Gregory Matthew "Greg" Buis is a contestant from Survivor: Borneo.
He has the distinction of being the first jury member in the history of Survivor and the first person ever to win an individual immunity challenge.
Born in Plano, Texas, Greg Buis is one of four siblings (two brothers and a sister). He studied anthropology at Brown University, graduating in 1999. He is currently based in Gold Hill, Colorado, although he continues to travel around the world. He has lived in Ridgewood, New Jersey, Providence, Rhode Island, Boulder, Colorado, and Santa Barbara, California. Along the way, he has been employed as a survival skill program director, boat mechanic, a stone mason and a restaurant manager.
Greg describes himself as energetic, hardworking and dedicated. His favorite color is green and he loves the smell of a pine forest. He says his perfect day would entail stalking a wild animal slowly and quietly enough to surprise it by touching it. His birth date is Dec. 31, 1975.
He was a member of the Pagong tribe. He was known for his wacky antics that kept his tribemates entertained, despite the harsh environment, one of which is "inventing" a "Coconut Phone" to "contact" the outside world. He is also known for his close relationship with tribemate Colleen Haskell.
Greg's tribe won the first immunity challenge, but lost the second. While the rest of the tribe voted out B.B. Andersen, as he was the oldest and most annoying member, Greg and B.B. both voted for Ramona Gray, as they thought she was the laziest member.
Pagong came back by winning the third immunity challenge, but later lost the fourth challenge. The majority of the tribe voted for Ramona; however, Greg voted for Jenna Lewis, as she annoyed him.
The pattern continued as Pagong won the fifth immunity challenge, but lost the preceding challenge. After tribemates Joel Klug and Gervase Peterson made a joke about girls being dumber than cows, Greg sided with the women of the tribe and voted out Joel.
After the merge, Greg won the very first individual Immunity Challenge on Day 21, protecting him from the vote. At tribal council, while the members of Pagong (and Sean Kenniff) voted differently, the four-way Tagi alliance stuck together and voted out Gretchen Cordy, as she was Pagong's leader. Greg voted for Jenna.
Greg then won the Day 23 Reward Challenge, and he was rewarded with a video from home. At tribal council, the former Tagi members and Jenna voted for Greg, making him the first jury member, while Greg voted for Jenna. Greg abruptly burst into tears after being voted out. The three other former Pagong members, Jenna, Gervase, and Colleen Haskell followed by being voted out.
In the jury, Greg became the swing vote for the Final Tribal Council, having his three other Pagong comrades voting for Kelly Wiglesworth, while the Tagi jurors voted for Richard Hatch. He asked both Richard and Kelly to name a number between 0 and 10. Evidently, Richard was closer, as Greg became the only Pagong member to vote for Richard, making Richard the Sole Survivor. Greg faced heavy criticism after the show for apparently allowing the whole game to come down to guessing a number, but he later explained that he had always intended to vote for Richard.
|Greg's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|1||Pagong Tribe Immune|
|3||Pagong Tribe Immune|
|5||Pagong Tribe Immune|
|8||Jenna|| Jenna, Kelly, Richard,|
Rudy, Sean, Susan
|Voted Off, Day 24|
| Voted for|
- Buis continues to work as a fashion model. He signed to Trump Model Management.
- He is the founder and vice president of http://www.pioneergreen.com/our_team.html
- His Luxury Item was a Frisbee.
- Greg is the first Survivor contestant to become a member of the Jury.
- Greg was nominated in Survivor: America's Tribal Council in the "Sexiest Male Contestant" category, but lost to Colby Donaldson.
- Greg was the only member of Pagong to vote for Richard Hatch in the final.
- Greg is the first contestant ever to win an individual immunity challenge and wear the individual immunity necklace.
- Greg is also the first contestant ever to win an individual reward challenge.
- Greg is thus the first contestant to win two consecutive individual challenges.
- Greg is perhaps best known for his exit after elimination - a long outburst of fake-hysteric crying.
- Greg is the first male contestant to be voted out of a merged tribe.
- Greg is the first contestant from Colorado.
- Out of the five Tribal Councils Greg participated in, he only voted with the majority once.
- Greg became the first contestant to win the loved ones challenge.
- Greg is the only member of Pagong to make the merge and never vote for a member of Tagi.
- Greg is the first-ever male member of the jury.
|Survivor: Borneo Contestants|
B.B. Andersen · Colleen Haskell · Dirk Been · Gervase Peterson · Greg Buis · Gretchen Cordy · Jenna Lewis · Joel Klug · Kelly Wiglesworth · Ramona Gray · Richard Hatch · Rudy Boesch · Sean Kenniff · Sonja Christopher · Stacey Stillman · Susan Hawk