|Birth Date||March 12, 1981|
|Hometown||Mountain View, California|
|Occupation|| Ex-NFL Player;|
|Alliance(s)||Stealth R Us|
Grant Logan Mattos is a contestant from Survivor: Redemption Island.
Name (Age): Grant Mattos (29)
Tribe: Ometepe, Murlonio
Current Residence: West Hollywood, Calif.
Occupation: Yoga Instructor
Personal Claim to Fame: Playing in the NFL
Inspiration in Life: My wife. With her in my life, I can do anything.
Hobbies: Largemouth bass fishing, surfing and writing.
Pet Peeves: When someone uses the word "like" every other second.
3 Words to Describe You: Outgoing, positive and friendly.
Reason for being on SURVIVOR: It's a huge mental and physical challenge. I want to get to know my true self better.
Why you think you'll "survive" SURVIVOR: I am physically and mentally strong and consider myself to be a good leader.
Reason why you think you will be the sole SURVIVOR: I have been through a lot and can push myself mentally and physically.
Survivor: Redemption IslandEdit
Grant quickly established himself as one of the strongest physical presences on the Ometepe tribe. He also was in the majority alliance within the tribe with Rob Mariano, Natalie Tenerelli, Ashley Underwood, Andrea Boehlke, and Matt Elrod to begin the game. Matt Elrod would be blindsided by the alliance on Day 5 however, and would be replaced in the 6 person alliance by Phillip Sheppard. Grant and Rob Mariano gained a particularly close bond early on.
Immediately after the merge Grant was the first targetted by the opposing Zapatera tribe as being seen as possibly the strongest physical threat on the Ometepe tribe, and also tribe leader Rob Mariano's main ally. Mike Chiesl would write a note to Matt Elrod (just now back from Redemption Island), promising him final 3 if he and Andrea Boehlke flipped sides and voted off Grant. Matt would refuse to flip, and be conned by Grant and Rob into going along with a false plan to vote off Steve Wright instead, when Matt was in reality now the blindside target of the alliance again. Grant narrowly escaped in the first vote after the merge where he received 5 votes to 6 for Matt Elrod (Steve receiving the other from Matt).
He would remain safe for quite awhile after this. The Ometepe 6 person alliance picked off the Zapatera tribe one at a time, with the Zapatera tribe members trying in vein to get Grant and the female Ometepes on board to vote off either Rob or Phillip. As the final Zapatera members fought to save themselves, Steve Wright gave an ominous warning to Grant about what happens to Rob's friends when he no longer needs them, referencing his betrayal of Lex van den Berghe on Survivor All Stars. He also warned about Rob wanting to take Phillip all the way to the finals. Grant remained unconcerned and trusting in his alliance with Rob. Once finally down to the Ometepe 6 things started out well for Grant, with Grant and Rob together orchestrating the blindside of Grant's closest female ally but possible threat Andrea Boehlke. However with only 5 people left, and seemingly in a secure spot to go right to the end and quite possibly win the game, he would be blindsided after primary target Ashley Underwood saved herself by winning immunity. His closest ally Rob Mariano (along with Ashley who had argued the idea to Rob days earlier) would orchestrate the blindside, as he viewed Grant a major threat to get the jury votes to win the game, and believed his chances of winning would be much higher against Natalie Tenerelli, Phillip Sheppard, or Ashley Underwood. Rob had told Grant that Natalie Tenerelli was going home that night, and had considered voting her out as well to break up the potential girls alliance, but ended up having the whole tribe vote out Grant.
He had one final shot to return but came last in the final Redemption Island duel against Mike Chiesl, Matt Elrod, and Andrea Boehlke, dropping his final placement from 5th to 8th.
Grant would be upset with Rob as he had believed all along Rob would take him to the F3. At the Final Tribal Council Grant would ask both Natalie and Rob about the nature of their alliance, pointing out he also had an alliance with Rob that he had felt was strong, and ask Rob about the reasoning for the betrayal. Natalie answered the alliance between Rob and Grant was probably similar to Rob's and her own, but that Grant was a major threat. Grant was then told by Rob that he believed Grant would have won the game had he taken him to the end, and that is why he felt he had to vote him out. Grant would still would vote for Rob to win the game, as he felt he played the best game of the Final 3.
Tribemates from this season have consistently stated Grant would have easily won a jury vote against any of the core Ometepe 6 (Rob, Ashley, Andrea, Natalie, or Phillip) had he reached the final 3.
|Grant's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|3||Ometepe Tribe Immune|
|5||Ometepe Tribe Immune|
|6||Ometepe Tribe Immune|
|7||Ometepe Tribe Immune|
|8||Matthew|| David, Julie, Mike,|
|13||Natalie|| Ashley, Natalie,|
|Voted Off, Day 35|
|14||On Redemption Island|
|Eliminated, Day 36|
| Voted for|
- Following Mattos' duration on Survivor: Redemption Island, he married Canadian actress Christina Cox and they have one daughter, a girl named Flynn.
- Grant continued to be a head Yoga Instructor at Moga Yoga in Los Angeles through 2015.
- Grant relocated from Los Angeles to Toronto, Ontario Canada at the end of April 2015.
- Grant took Rob's betrayal personal and hard, and according to various interviews with Rob has refused any personal contact with Rob post Survivor until well into 2015.
- Grant is one of the two former NFL players on Survivor: Redemption Island; the other being Steve Wright.
- He and Steve were the 3rd and 4th castaways formerly associated with the NFL to play on Survivor, following player Gary Hogeboom and coach Jimmy Johnson.
- Brad Culpepper would later be the fifth. Tyler Fredrickson was the sixth.
- Grant would be the youngest ex NFLer to ever play at only age 29.
- Of all 6 ex NFL players to appear on Survivor Grant went the deepest into the game, and came the closest to reaching the Final Tribal Council by reaching the Final 5.
- Grant is the first contestant to be voted out on Day 35.
- Grant was the first Ometepe member to be eliminated since Kristina Kell, who was eliminated nine episodes earlier.
- Grant was friends with Natalie Bolton, who was a big part of him auditioning for Survivor.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/ReallyChristina/status/506303838803226624/photo/1
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/ModoYogaLA/photos/a.156797051091073.27020.115942315176547/675363265901113/?type=1&theater
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/ModoYogaLA/photos/a.156797051091073.27020.115942315176547/676156802488426/?type=1&theater
- ↑ http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/02/countdown-to-redemption-island-meet-grant-mattos.html
|Survivor: Redemption Island Castaways|