|Born:||March 12, 1981|
|Hometown:||Mountain View, California|
|Alliance(s):||Stealth R Us|
Grant Logan Mattos is a contestant from Survivor: Redemption Island.
Best known for his close alliance with Rob Mariano, Grant was a member of the dominant Ometepe Alliance which controlled most of the game, and his physical strength was key into keeping his tribe strong, and eventually allowing his alliance to gain the numbers advantage. However, after the intended target Ashley Underwood won immunity, Grant was subsequently betrayed by Rob and voted out for being deemed as the largest threat to the jury. He was ultimately eliminated in 8th place after coming in last in the final Redemption Island duel.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Name (Age): Grant Mattos (29)
Current Residence: West Hollywood, Calif.
Occupation: Yoga Instructor
Personal Claim to Fame: Playing in the NFL.
Inspiration in Life: My wife. With her in my life, I can do anything.
Hobbies: Largemouth bass fishing, surfing and writing.
Pet Peeves: When someone uses the word "like" every other second.
3 Words to Describe You: Outgoing, positive and friendly.
Reason for being on SURVIVOR: It's a huge mental and physical challenge. I want to get to know my true self better.
Why you think you'll "survive" SURVIVOR: I am physically and mentally strong and consider myself to be a good leader.
Reason why you think you will be the Sole Survivor: I have been through a lot and can push myself mentally and physically.
Grant quickly established himself as one of the strongest physical presences on the Ometepe tribe, and was often their key piece in the teams pre-merge challenge wins that allowed them to gain the numbers advantage at the merge. He also was in the majority alliance within the tribe with Rob Mariano, Natalie Tenerelli, Ashley Underwood, Andrea Boehlke, and Matthew Elrod to begin the game. Matthew would be blindsided by the alliance on Day 5 however due to his showmance with Andrea, and would be replaced in the 6-person alliance by Phillip Sheppard. This alliance of 6 would remain intact and dominant the remainder of the game. Grant and Rob gained a particularly close bond early on, and consulted one another in strategic decisions throughout the game.
Immediately after the merge Grant was the first targeted by the opposing Zapatera tribe as being seen as possibly the strongest physical threat on the Ometepe tribe, and also tribe leader Rob's main ally. Mike Chiesl would write a note to Matthew (just now back from Redemption Island), promising him Final Three if he and Andrea flipped sides and voted off Grant. Matthew would refuse to flip, and be conned by Grant and Rob into going along with a false plan to vote off Steve Wright instead, thus preventing a possible tie in votes between Grant and Matt. Grant thus narrowly escaped in the first vote after the merge where he received 5 votes to 6 for Matthew (Steve receiving the other from Matthew).
He would remain safe for quite awhile after this. The Ometepe 6-person alliance picked off the Zapatera tribe one at a time, with the Zapatera tribe members trying in vein to get Grant and the female Ometepes on board to vote off either Rob or Phillip. As the final Zapatera members fought to save themselves, Steve gave an ominous warning to Grant about what happens to Rob's friends when he no longer needs them, referencing his betrayal of Lex van den Berghe on Survivor: All-Stars. He also warned all Ometepe members about Rob wanting to take Phillip all the way to the finals. Grant remained unconcerned and trusting in his alliance with Rob. Once finally down to the Ometepe Six, things started out well for Grant as he did not seem to be a major target at first. He was part of the decision to vote off his friend Andrea, who he viewed as one of his toughest competitors of the alliance in a jury vote and in physical challenges towards the end. However with only 5 people left, and seemingly in a secure spot to go right to the end and quite possibly win the game, he would be blindsided after primary target Ashley saved herself by winning immunity. The tribe thereafter scrambled and his closest ally Rob (along with Ashley who had argued the idea to Rob days earlier) would orchestrate the blindside, as he viewed Grant a major threat to get the jury votes to win the game, and believed his chances of winning would be much higher against Natalie, Phillip, or Ashley. Rob had Grant firmly convinced that Natalie was going home that night, and had considered voting her out as well to break up the potential girls alliance, but ultimately he and Phillip decided on voting out Grant instead.
He had one final shot to return into contention to winning the game, but came last in the final Redemption Island duel against Mike, Matthew, and Andrea, dropping his final placement down to 8th. He had previously been critical of the Redemption Island format and twist.
Grant would be upset with Rob as he had believed all along Rob would take him to the Final Three. At the Final Tribal Council, Grant would ask both Natalie and Rob about the nature of their alliance, pointing out he also had an alliance with Rob that he had felt was strong until being blindsided by Rob. Natalie answered the alliance between Rob and Grant was probably similar to Rob's and her own, but that Grant was a major threat. Rob then told Grant he had been in an alliance with Natalie since Day 1 and that they felt they could trust each other, and that he also believes Grant would have won the game had he taken him to the end, and that is why he felt he had to vote him out. Grant would still would vote for Rob to win the game, as he felt he played the best game of the Final Three, and because Rob had explained his game far better than the other two finalists who mostly just credited Rob for their games.
At the Reunion Show, fellow alliance members Andrea Boehlke and Ashley Underwood have confirmed that Grant would have almost certainly won a jury vote against any combination of members of the Ometepe 6 (Rob, Natalie, Phillip, Andrea, and Ashley) alliance had he reached the end.
|Grant's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|3||Ometepe Tribe Immune|
|5||Ometepe Tribe Immune|
|6||Ometepe Tribe Immune|
|7||Ometepe Tribe Immune|
|8||Matthew|| David, Julie, Mike,|
|13||Natalie|| Ashley, Natalie,|
|Voted Off, Day 35|
|14||On Redemption Island|
|Eliminated, Day 36|
| Voted for|
- Following Mattos's duration on Survivor: Redemption Island, he married Canadian actress Christina Cox and they have one daughter, a girl named Flynn.
- Before and after Survivor until 2013, Grant was an instructor at City Yoga LA until partway through 2013.
- Grant was a head Yoga Instructor at Moga Yoga in Los Angeles through 2015.
- Grant relocated from Los Angeles to Toronto, Ontario, Canada at the end of April 2015.
- Grant relocated from Toronto to New York City sometime in the fall of 2015 and works at Moda Yoga NYC.
- According to an interview with fellow castaway Natalie Tenerelli in December 2015, Grant and Rob Mariano had a falling out due to the blindside, and have not been in contact since the Reunion.
- Grant moved again from New York City to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, with his wife and daughter, in either late 2016 or early 2017. He works at Moshka Yoga Vancouver.
- Grant has a book called "The Fifth Down", which released on December 1st, 2017.
- Grant is the fourth person in the history of the show who was affiliated with the NFL before doing Survivor, following Gary Hogeboom, Jimmy Johnson, and Steve Wright. He would later be followed by Brad Culpepper, Alan Ball, and Tyler Fredrickson.
- Grant was friends with Survivor: Micronesia castaway Natalie Bolton, who was a big part of him auditioning for Survivor.
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/52330/
- ↑ https://twitter.com/ReallyChristina/status/506303838803226624/photo/1
- ↑ http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Happy-New-Year-to-the-incredible-City-Yoga-Community.html?soid=1011367688276&aid=QWoguDDQ0Dg
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/ModoYogaLA/photos/pb.115942315176547.-2207520000.1449279613./487148741389234/?type=3&theater
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/ModoYogaLA/photos/pb.115942315176547.-2207520000.1449279523./655158524588254/?type=3&theater
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/ModoYogaLA/photos/a.156797051091073.27020.115942315176547/675363265901113/?type=1&theater
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/ModoYogaLA/photos/a.156797051091073.27020.115942315176547/676156802488426/?type=1&theater
- ↑ http://www.grantmattos.com
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/modoyoganyc/photos/pb.204704349544653.-2207520000.1449279098./1241141045900973/?type=3&theater
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VirukEsO048
- ↑ https://twitter.com/grantmattos?lang=
- ↑ http://vancouver.mokshayoga.ca/blog/member/grant-mattos/
- ↑ http://www.grantmattos.com/
- ↑ http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/02/countdown-to-redemption-island-meet-grant-mattos.html
|Survivor: Redemption Island Castaways|