This is a page dedicated to briefly describe words that are frequently used in the Survivor series. Feel free to add new entries. To learn more about these term, there are links to direct you to its mother article.
- Advantage - Is a reward given to a player in a "Reward Challenge" in which the player will have some sort of advantage in the upcoming Immunity Challenge.
- Alliance - Refers to a group of people who band together for strategic purposes (see Alliance).
- Auction - A type of reward challenge in which the remaining contestants are given a specific amount of money to outbid each other for various items. (see Survivor Auction).
- Blindside - To eliminate or be eliminated from the game by surprise.
- Buff - A colored band of cloth which denotes tribe affiliation (see Buff).
- Car Curse - Refers to the inexplicable coincidence where the winner of a Reward Challenge which has a car for a prize does not win the entire game. (see Car Curse)
- Castaways - Refers to the contestants (see Castaway)
- Challenge - Refers to the competitions where the contestants vie for Reward or Immunity. (see Challenge)
- Day Thirty Nine - The final day of the competition.
- Duel - A special challenge where the current inhabitant of Redemption Island and the most recent voted out contestant compete for a chance to get back in the game.
- Exile - Either refers to Exile Island, or to send a player to Exile Island
- Evacuation - Being pulled from the game for medical reasons
- Fan Favorite - Refers to the Sprint Player of the Season, where the season's most popular contestant gets a prize.
- Fire-Making Challenge - A special challenge wherein the people involved in a tie duke it out to stay in the game. Only happens during the final four or when tribe is down to only two members.
- Flushing - Either refers to a contestant being eliminated with a Hidden Immunity Idol in their possession or using the idol at Tribal Council but for naught, because the player in question did not receive the majority of the votes.
- Idol - Refers to Hidden Immunity Idol; barely refers to Immunity Idol.
- Immunity Challenge - A competition where contestants vie for the guarantee of their stay in the game.
- Jury - Refers to the group of recently eliminated contestants who will decide which among the final few is the Sole Survivor (see Jury).
- Kidnap - A chance to "kidnap" a member of the opposite tribe for a day (could join for challanges) and then return to their original tribe later
- Merge - To combine the remaining members of both tribes into one final unit, effective until the end of the game (see Merge).
- Necklace - Refers to the Immunity Necklace.
- Outcast Twist - In Survivor: Pearl Islands, on Day 19, the ten remaining survivors faced a third tribe comprised of the first six departed castaways in a 3-way special challenge. If the Outcasts win, both Drake and Morgan will go to separate Tribal Council sessions and will vote one of their own. The Outcasts will vote two of their own back into the game, with the remaining four eliminated for good. The two returning castaways will be granted immunity at their first visit to Tribal Council. If the Outcasts finish second, only one of them will be voted back in the game, and only the losing tribe will vote somebody out. If the Outcasts lose to both tribes, they are eliminated from the game, and Morgan and Drake merge without voting anybody out.
- Pagonging - To systematically eliminate the remaining members of the other tribe after the merge (see Pagong).
- Parchment - Refers to the paper used by the contestants in their voting.
- Purple Rock - The pre-final four mechanism to break a tie vote. Players (except immune players) will have to draw rocks, and the person who gets the purple rock gets eliminated.
- Redemption - Refers to Redemption Island
- Rites of Passage - Refers to the symbolic tribute of the remaining few to fallen castaways before they compete in their final Immunity Challenge.
- Snuffing - To extinguish an eliminated contestant's torch.
- Split The Vote - A strategy where an alliance would distribute their votes between members of an opposing alliance, to possibly defuse any power gained by playing a Hidden Immunity Idol.
- Sole Survivor - The title that is addressed to the winner of the game.
- Throwaway Vote - To purposefully vote a fellow contestant, knowing that his/her vote might not have any significance whatsoever.
- To Flip - To betray one's own alliance by joining the other.
- To Lay Down My Torch - To quit the game
- Tribal - Either refers to the inter-tribal phase of the competition or Tribal Council.
- Tribe - Refers to the competing teams in the game (see Tribe).
- Tribe Switch - Refers to the twist where selected players are forced to join the rival tribe.
- Twist - Refers to a drastic game-changing event.
- Ulonging - To lose numerous, consecutive challenges (see Ulong).
- Vote(d) Out - To be eliminated from the game.