|Birth Date||November 2, 1969|
|Hometown|| Willingboro, New Jersey;|
|Occupation|| YMCA Basketball Coach;|
Cigar Lounge Owner
|Tribe(s)|| ██ Pagong |
|Tribe(s)|| ██ Galang|
|Alliance(s)|| Galang Alliance|
His past occupations include an auditor, a field representative for Nielsen Media Research and a test technician for I.B.M. He attended Lincoln Technical Institute for two years.
Gervase's proudest accomplishment is living to the age of 30. His perfect day would consist of playing with his kids, enjoying a game of basketball and football, followed up by a large incredible meal. His hero is his mother for all the sacrifice and love she gave after his father passed way when he was fifteen years old.
His three favorite hobbies are watching movies, basketball/football and anything revolving around actress Salma Hayek. Gervase describes himself as confident and responsible, but has trouble dealing with indecisive people who are afraid of trying new things. His birth date is Nov. 2, 1969.
Blood vs Water
Name (Age): Gervase Peterson (43)
Tribe Designation: Galang
Relationship to Significant Castaway: Marissa’s Uncle
Previous Season: Survivor: Borneo – 3rd jury member
Current Residence: Philadelphia, Pa.
Occupation: Cigar Lounge Owner
Why Did You Want to Return to Survivor and Play with Your Loved One? I wanted to return to Survivor because I felt that I could win the game if given another chance, and what better way to play than to play with my niece, Marissa. She is just as driven, focused and competitive as me. This is the ultimate experience and I get to share it with her.
During the original Survivor season, Peterson worked only when necessary, and was able to successfully preserve much of his strength until the individual challenges in the later rounds. Although at times it made him appear lazy, he claims that this was part of his strategy.
As a member of the Pagong tribe, Peterson was one of the first Survivor contestants who was forced by circumstance to eat cooked rat for sustenance, and was the very first contestant to remark that cooked rat actually tasted good. In one episode, he made a disparaging remark about women, stating that "Girls are the stupidest things on the planet next to cows." However, his teammate Joel Klug laughed so hard that the comment was attributed to him, and the female members of Pagong voted Klug off at the next opportunity.
After the two tribes merged into Rattana, Peterson (like all the remaining members of Pagong) did not realize that former Tagi members Richard Hatch, Kelly Wiglesworth, Rudy Boesch, and Susan Hawk had formed a voting alliance until the Pagong faction had been outnumbered and outmaneuvered. The Tagi alliance, along with former Tagi member Sean Kenniff, eliminated Peterson in Day 30.
|Gervase's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|1||Pagong Tribe Immune|
|3||Pagong Tribe Immune|
|5||Pagong Tribe Immune|
|10||Sean|| Kelly, Richard,|
Rudy, Sean, Susan
|Voted Off, Day 30|
| Voted for|
Survivor: Blood vs Water
On Day Zero, Gervase arrived with his niece Marissa Peterson to play the game for a second time. When the ten pairs of returning players and loved ones joined together, Gervase joined the tribe of returning players, Galang, and was part of the majority to vote Candice Cody out on Day 1. At the first challenge of the season, Gervase's performance while swimming was so poor that he needed Aras Baskauskas' help to keep going, putting Galang at a severe disadvantage. The tribe was able to come from behind and win despite this setback; however, this victory was at a price, as Gervase's boisterous cheering was deemed as pouring salt into wounds, and the dominant alliance on the loved ones tribe, Tadhana, sent Marissa to Redemption Island on Day 3.
On Day 4, Gervase declined to switch places with Marissa at the duel; she was able to escape elimination by finishing second. Redeeming himself from his poor performance in the previous challenge, Gervase did well in the final part of the immunity challenge and was able to win the second challenge for Galang, continuing their winning streak.
|Gervase's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|Galang Tribe Immune|
|2||Galang Tribe Immune|
|3||No Tribal Council|
|Galang Tribe Immune|
|4||Galang Tribe Immune|
|6||Tadhana Tribe Immune|
|7||Tadhana Tribe Immune|
|Statistics of Gervase Peterson|
|Total number of days||30|
|Total votes received||6|
|Days spent at Redemption Island||N/A|
- He named his youngest son, Gunnar Tiga Peterson after the first season's location: Pulau Tiga.
- Like several members of the Borneo cast, Peterson has attempted to parlay his popularity into an acting career. Thus far, his most notable role has been that of absentee father Leo Thompson, whom he portrayed in 2001 on the CBS daytime drama As the World Turns. Additionally, he made a cameo appearance in The Scorned, which featured numerous personalities from American reality television.
- He is the owner of a cigar lounge in New Jersey http://www.burnzcigars.com/about/
- Gervase is still good friends with tribemate Joel Klug.
- Gervase also currently has a column Say Gerv?" in the Jersery Man Magazine.
- During the run of Borneo, a hacker announced that he had gained access to an area of the CBS Survivor website containing a photo array of the 16 contestants. An "X" was displayed across the picture of everyone except Peterson. This led many to believe that the network had inadvertently revealed Peterson to be the winner. A few episodes later he was voted off, and CBS admitted that its so-called mistake was done on purpose to mislead viewers and pundits as a way of keeping the true winner's identity secret, since the Final Tribal Council results were revealed on-location.
- Gervase's luxury item was a deck of cards.
- Gervase and Ramona Gray are the first castaways from the state of New Jersey.
- Gervase is the first Jury member to address the finalists at the Final Tribal Council.
- Gervase is the first African-American male contestant in Survivor history.
- Gervase broke Michael Skupin's record for the longest period between appearances on the show, spanning 13 years. This is also the longest period between a first appearance on Survivor and a most recent one.
- Gervase has the word "Pagong" tattooed on his left arm.
- Gervase is the only returnee from Borneo to not compete on Survivor: All-Stars.
- Gervase started both of his seasons on a yellow tribe.
|Survivor: Borneo Castaways|
|Survivor: Blood vs Water Castaways|