Gary Keith Hogeboom is a contestant from Survivor: Guatemala.
He holds the distinction as being the first contestant ever to find and play a Hidden Immunity Idol. He was eventually voted out at the final 7 for being a physical threat.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Originally from Grand Haven, Michigan, Gary Hogeboom attended Grand Rapids Northview High School. He then attended Central Michigan University, where he became quarterback of their football team before being drafted into the NFL.
In 1980, Hogeboom was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys and played with them for six years. He then played three years with the Indianapolis Colts, followed by a year with the Phoenix Cardinals and a year with the Washington Redskins.
Since retiring from the NFL, Hogeboom has become a real estate developer and landscaper. He also serves as volunteer coach for high school football, basketball, tennis and soccer. He previously volunteered his time with Youth for Christ conducting Youth Ministry Work.
Hogeboom believes he is a useful member of SURVIVOR because he is a team player, a hard worker, had lots of outdoor skills and is very athletic. He believes he can win because he's a fierce competitor and he likes to have fun. He enjoys hunting and horseback riding, all sports, and spending time with his family.
Hogeboom has been married to Kristi for 24 years and is father to Heidi, Jake, Kasi and Jami. They have one dog, one cat and three horses. His birthday is August 21, 1958.
Gary was placed on the Yaxhá tribe initially, and decided to keep his past as a professional quarterback hidden. In a tribal challenge, rival tribe member Danni Boatwright told Gary's tribemate Brian Corridan about his past, but Gary continued to deny it. He formed a tight bond with Amy O'Hara, both of whom were kept around for their physicality.
A tribe swap occurred, and Gary remained on Yaxhá with Brian and Amy. Despite being down in numbers, Gary survived the tribal stage of the game and became the only original Yaxhá member to remain on Yaxhá and make the merge. At the merge, Gary was in the minority, and was targeted quickly after the merge. When it was revealed that a Hidden Immunity Idol was somewhere in the jungle, Gary knew he had to find it to stay in the game. When Judd Sergeant received a clue, he told the other Xhakúm tribe members that it was on the ground. However, Gary observed Judd searching in the trees and realized he was lying.
When Gary learned he was being voted out in favor of Bobby Jon Drinkard, he searched for the Immunity Idol, and found it. He used it at Tribal Council, delaying his elimination from the game and instead ending Bobby Jon's time. After Jamie Newton was blindsided, Gary was the next slated to go. He tried desperately to make an alliance with Rafe Judkins and Danni Boatwright, his closest ally, but even she ended up voting against him, and he was eliminated from the game.
|Gary's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|1||Yaxhá Tribe Immune|
|4||Yaxhá Tribe Immune|
|9||Cindy|| Used Hidden|
|11||Cindy|| Cindy, Danni, Judd,|
Lydia, Rafe, Stephenie
|Voted Off, Day 30|
| Voted for|
^1 In Secrets and Lies and an Idol Surprise, Gary used a Hidden Immunity Idol on himself, making him immune from the vote.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.
- Although he used a false name while introducing himself as "Gary Hawkins" the landscaper, he did not lie about his profession, as landscaping was actually what he did at the time.
- Gary was reluctant to reveal his real surname for fear that fellow castaways would recognize him as a former NFL player. At the Reunion Show, Danni Boatwright revealed that she knew who he was all along, being a sports-radio talk show host. She also revealed in a private conversation with Gary she recognized exactly who he was during the game, but kept her promise to keep it a secret from the rest of the castaways.
- Gary was the oldest member of the Yaxhá tribe.
- Gary is the first former NFL player to compete on Survivor, and would later be followed by Steve Wright, Grant Mattos, Alan Ball, Brad Culpepper, and Tyler Fredrickson.
- Gary is the first contestant to find a Hidden Immunity Idol.
- Gary is the first contestant to find the Hidden Immunity Idol without the aid of a legitimate clue. He got a false clue from Judd Sergeant, but found the idol after observing Judd when he was looking for it.
- Gary was the only person that was a part of the merged tribe to be part of the Yaxhá tribe for the entire pre-merge stage of the game, and as such was the only member of Xhakúm to never be part of the Nakúm tribe.
- The episode in which Gary was voted out is the only non-recap episode in Survivor history intended to air on Thanksgiving Day. Coincidentally, the episode aired immediately following an NFL game involving the Dallas Cowboys, Gary's former team.
|Survivor: Guatemala Castaways|