|Double Tribal Council|
|Description:||An event where two tribes are forced to vote off one member each.|
|Appearances:|| Pearl Islands|
Heroes vs. Villains
The Double Tribal Council is a Survivor twist where two tribes each vote out a member one after the other, on the same night. Oftentimes, individual immunity is offered to contestants. Additionally, tribal reward is sometimes offered, and the winning tribe may be allowed to sit in on the losing tribe's Tribal Council, while eating food.
The twist originated in Survivor: Pearl Islands, in the shadow of the Outcast twist. Before The Outcasts could vote two members back into the game, both Drake and Morgan had to vote out one member each from their tribes, because they both lost to The Outcasts in the Immunity Challenge.
The twist took its more familiar form in Survivor: Vanuatu. Both tribes may compete for reward and/or individual immunity, and will attend Tribal Council afterward.
In Vanuatu, both tribes competed for reward: fishing gear and the chance to vie for individual immunity. Lopevi won reward, and John Kenney won individual immunity. Afterwards, John K. spent the day at the Yasur camp. After Lopevi voted out John Palyok, John K. stayed around to watch the Yasur Tribal Council. Before the vote, John K. was instructed to give immunity to one member of the Yasur tribe; he chose Ami Cusack, and Yasur voted out Mia Galeotalanza.
In Palau, both tribes competed for reward: beef stew to be enjoyed while watching the other tribe's Tribal Council and the opportunity to vote for immunity for one member of the losing tribe. Koror won reward, voted out Willard Smith, and voted to give Ibrehem Rahman immunity. As a result, Angie Jakusz was voted out of Ulong.
In Guatemala, tribes competed for food items, and the opportunity to compete for individual immunity. Nakúm won reward, and Rafe Judkins won individual immunity. Nakúm voted out Margaret Bobonich, and Rafe stayed to watch Yaxhá's Tribal Council. Rafe then had to secretly give individual immunity to one member of the opposing tribe that would be revealed after the vote, and he chose Gary Hogeboom. Brian Corridan received the majority of the vote, and was subsequently eliminated.
In Cook Islands, tribes competed for food, and the opportunity to watch the other tribe's Tribal Council. Aitutaki won reward, and voted out Cao Boi Bui. They were then asked to kidnap one member of Rarotonga who would eat with them, not vote in Tribal Council, and live with their tribe until they compete together in the next Reward Challenge; they chose Nate Gonzalez, and Rarotonga voted out Cristina Coria.
In Gabon, the castaways competed for individual immunity. The winner, Marcus Lehman, was then given the opportunity to give individual immunity to one member of the opposing tribe; he chose Sugar Kiper. Fang then voted out Ace Gordon, and Kota voted out Dan Kay.
In Samoa, a Double Tribal Council was originally planned on Day 15, but was canceled when Russell Swan was medically evacuated at the Reward Challenge. Both Foa Foa and Galu instead went to the first ever Joint Tribal Council, although no one was voted out.
In Heroes vs. Villains, both tribes competed separately for individual immunity, such that one member of each tribe would win immunity. Then the winners, Candice Woodcock and Rob Mariano, would compete for tribal reward. The Villains won reward, Tyson Apostol was blindsided by a Hidden Immunity Idol, and they enjoyed hot dogs while attending the Heroes' Tribal Council. The Heroes then voted out James Clement.
In Nicaragua, both tribes competed separately for individual immunity, such that one member of each tribe won individual immunity. Then the winners, Jill Behm and Holly Hoffman, competed for tribal reward: food to enjoy during the other tribe's Tribal Council. La Flor won reward, voted out Kelly Bruno, and listened in on Espada's Tribal Council, where they voted out Yve Rojas.
Contestants eliminated at a Double Tribal Council
|Season||Episode||First Tribe||Second Tribe||Result|
|Pearl Islands||7|| |
|Both tribes went to Tribal Council as a result of The Outcasts winning the Immunity Challenge. Drake went to Tribal Council first and voted out Shawn. At Morgan's Tribal Council, Osten quit the game.|
|Lopevi went to Tribal Council first and voted out John P. At Yasur's Tribal Council, Mia was voted out.|
|Koror went to Tribal Council first and voted out Willard. At Ulong's Tribal Council, Koror gave immunity to Ibrehem Rahman. This caused a tie between Angie and Bobby Jon Drinkard. Angie was voted out in the re-vote.|
|Nakúm went to Tribal Council first and voted out Margaret. At Yaxhá's Tribal Council, Brian was voted out.|
|Cook Islands||6|| |
Cao Boi Bui
|Aitutaki went to Tribal Council first and voted out Cao Boi. At Rarotonga's Tribal Council, Cristina was voted out.|
|Fang went to Tribal Council first and voted out Ace. At Kota's Tribal Council, Dan was voted out.|
|Samoa||6||Canceled||After Russell Swan was evacuated at the Reward Challenge, the twist was canceled. Foa Foa and Galu attended a Joint Tribal Council, though no one was voted out.|
|Heroes vs. Villains||6|| |
|The Villains went to Tribal Council first and voted out Tyson. At the Heroes' Tribal Council, James was voted out.|
|La Flor went to Tribal Council first. The vote initially ended with a tie between Kelly B. and Marty Piombo. Kelly B. was voted out at the re-vote. At Espada's Tribal Council, Yve was voted out.|
The following excludes the cancelled Double Tribal Council in Survivor: Samoa unless otherwise stated.
- At every Double Tribal Council, one of the tribes has been red or blue.
- At every Double Tribal Council since the introduction of the Hidden Immunity Idol, a split vote has been used or proposed by one tribe.
- Ironically, three of the four split votes ended with someone participating in the split being voted out. Cao Boi Bui was blindsided while under the assumption a split was taking place, Tyson Apostol was voted out after unexpectedly switching his own vote, and Kelly Bruno was blindsided by the splitting alliance at the revote after a tie.
- Survivor: Cook Islands is the only season to have both a Double Tribal Council and a Double Elimination.
- According to some accounts, Survivor: Micronesia was originally planned to have a Double Tribal Council on Day 21, but it was rendered unnecessary when Jonathan Penner was evacuated and Kathy Sleckman quit the game.
- In lieu of a Double Tribal Council, Survivor: Blood vs. Water instead used the First Impressions twist and had both tribes vote out a member outside the Tribal Council area.
- Tyson Apostol is the only castaway to be voted out in a Double Tribal Council, and return for a future season.
- While three seasons feature a Double Tribal Council at which two men were eliminated, only Survivor: Nicaragua features a Double Tribal Council at which two women were eliminated.
- Stephenie LaGrossa, Bobby Jon Drinkard, Sandra Diaz-Twine, Parvati Shallow, and Candice Woodcock are the only people to be involved in multiple Double Tribal Councils.
- If the Double Tribal Council in Samoa had not been canceled, Russell Hantz would also have had this distinction.