|Born:||January 1, 1971|
|Hometown:||Cedar Rapids, Iowa|
|Alliance(s):|| Matsing Alliance|
Kalabaw Alliance (affiliated)
Placed on the ill-fated Matsing tribe, Denise suffered the worst losing streak imaginable: losing every Immunity Challenge prior to the merge and visiting every single Tribal Council of her season. However, her brilliant social game allowed her to survive every one and reach the Final Tribal Council. Her ability to smoothly integrate herself into a series of disparate and often fraught social circles, as well as her role in sound strategic moves such as the eliminations of Jonathan Penner and Malcolm Freberg, ultimately won her the title of Sole Survivor.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Personal Claim to Fame: The decision to leave the safety and stability of my previous job to open my own business is without a doubt my proudest accomplishment. It took planning and preparation to make that transition smooth and successful. It also took some serious courage to risk the financial security I had.
Inspiration in Life: At this point in my life, I struggle to identify any one hero, but a hero in my eyes is someone who follows their passion.
Hobbies: Sprint triathlons, reading and playing dress up/goofing off with my kiddo.
Pet Peeves: My number one pet peeve is laziness and people who expect that change will happen without them having to put in any real level of effort. Life is what you make it folks... dig deep!
3 Words to Describe You: Determined, energetic and goofy.
If You Could Have 3 Things on The Island What Would They Be and Why?
1) A seriously sturdy jogging bra – no one needs to see my 40 year-old ta-ta's dangling out. This is for function, not fashion.
2) My baseball cap or pink dew rag – sheer comfort and a reflection of who I really am.
3) My favorite picture of my husband and daughter for motivation and connection with them.
SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: I really like Stephenie from "Survivor: Palau." If that wasn't "digging deep" I don't know what is. She has sheer will power and determination. That is what drives me.
Reason for Being on SURVIVOR: Believe it or not, for the experience!
Why You Think You'll "Survive" SURVIVOR: At work, I have to be able to engage and connect on some level with every person who walks through my door. I'm also a worker bee who will seek out ways to help camp life run smoothly.
Why You Think You Will Be the Sole Survivor: I have a job that requires the ability to engage people to share very personal information and gain their trust to know it will remain confidential. Survivor will require that same skill set and honestly, I'm good at it. My motto in business, life and now Survivor is "keep it simple, keep it smart."
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.
|Denise's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|7|| ||Individual Immunity|
| Jury Votes|
| Abi-Maria, Artis, Jeff,|
Jonathan, Malcolm, Pete
|Sole Survivor, Day 39|
^1 In Not the Only Actor on This Island, Jonathan used a Hidden Immunity Idol, negating Denise's vote against him.
^2 In Whiners Are Wieners, Abi-Maria used a Hidden Immunity Idol, negating Denise's vote against her.
- On March 30, 2013, Denise won an EVOLVE Award from American Atheists for representing agnostics and atheists on reality television shows.
- In July 2015, Denise gave her thoughts in an interview about how her former Survivor: Philippines castmate Abi-Maria Gomes would do in Survivor: Cambodia.
- Denise is the only member of Matsing to not receive a vote before the tribe's dissolution.
- Denise is the fourth castaway to share a tribe with every castaway on a season. The first three were Rob Mariano, Sean Rector, and Vecepia Towery in Survivor: Marquesas.
- Denise is the only contestant to reach an official merge without being immune at any point before it.
- Denise is the only person to attend every Tribal Council as a contestant over the course of a season.
- Denise is also the only contestant to witness all eliminations in a single season. She attended every Tribal Council and also watched Dana Lambert's quit from the game.
- However, Denise is not the only record holder for the most Tribal Councils attended in a season. She attended all 15 Tribal Councils of Survivor: Philippines (including Final Tribal Council), while Mick Trimming, Natalie White, and Russell Hantz only missed one Tribal Council in Survivor: Samoa and attended the other 15.
- Denise successfully voted out all of her original Matsing tribemates during Survivor: Philippines.
- She is the second of three players to vote out every other player on their starting tribe, after John Cochran (in South Pacific) and before Cydney Gillon. Because one of Cochran's tribemates, Ozzy Lusth, returned to the game via Redemption Island, Denise is the first to contribute to the permanent elimination of all her original tribemates by voting them out.
- Unlike Cochran and Cydney, Denise did not need any revotes to accomplish this feat; Cochran switched his vote to Keith Tollefson after initially voting for Rick Nelson, and Cydney switched her vote to Darnell Hamilton after initially voting for Alecia Holden.
- However, Denise is only the second player to contribute to the elimination of all her original tribemates in some manner. In Survivor: Palau, Stephenie LaGrossa voted out 7 of her Ulong tribemates and defeated Bobby Jon Drinkard in a tiebreaker; she also later voted out Bobby Jon in Survivor: Guatemala.
- Denise is the third first-time player to win against a returning player, following Danni Boatwright and Sophie Clarke.
- Coincidentally, all three of them are female and received six votes to win.
- Denise is the second-oldest winner (behind Bob Crowley) and oldest female winner when crowned Sole Survivor, at 41 years, 11 months, and 15 days old.
- Denise is the shortest Sole Survivor, at 5 feet tall.
|Sole Survivor Titleholder|
| Succeeded by|
|Survivor: Philippines Castaways|