|Blood vs. Water (twist)|
Brothers Vytas Baskauskas and Aras Baskauskas are pitted against each other in Blood vs. Water.
|Description:||Each contestant competes against a loved one.|
|Appearances:|| Blood vs. Water|
San Juan del Sur
Blood vs. Water is a twist introduced in the titular season, Survivor: Blood vs. Water. It featured returning castaways competing against loved ones, such as husbands, wives, children, parents, boyfriends, girlfriends, and siblings. In Survivor: San Juan del Sur, instead of returning castaways competing against their loved ones there were new players competing against their loved ones.
In 2011, before the conception of the "Blood vs. Water" moniker, the Philippine version of the series had pairs of celebrities (similar to its previous season), each with a pre-existing relationship. Unlike the US adaptation of the format, the Philippine version had pairs of local celebrities, and the tribes had five pairs each.
In Survivor: Blood vs. Water, the twist split up the tribes with the loved ones being on the red Tadhana tribe while the returning players were on the yellow Galang tribe. The twist majorly affected the season, affecting Tribal Councils and Redemption Island duels. The twist allowed a contestant on Redemption Island to switch places with their loved one if they were still in the game, meaning the contestant on Redemption Island would join their loved one's tribe, while the contestant still in the game would take their loved one's spot on Redemption Island.
The twist was used again for Survivor: San Juan del Sur, this time with all-new players.
|Survivor: Blood vs. Water Loved One Pairs|
|Vytas & Aras|
|Candice & John|
|Colton & Caleb|
|Gervase & Marissa|
|Kat & Hayden|
|Laura M. & Ciera|
|Monica & Brad|
|Laura B. & Rupert|
|Katie & Tina|
|Tyson & Rachel|
|Survivor: San Juan del Sur Loved One Pairs|
|Baylor & Missy|
|Dale & Kelley|
|Drew & Alec|
|Jaclyn & Jon|
|John & Julie|
|Josh & Reed|
|Nadiya & Natalie|
|Val & Jeremy|
|Wes & Keith|
The following pairs have played on the same tribe/Redemption Island with each other. This list excludes Day Zero.
Survivor: Blood vs. Water
- According to R.C. Saint-Amour and Colton Cumbie, the twist was originally going to pit blood relatives (blood) against couples of significant others (water), but the last minute substitution of Candice and John Cody for R.C. and her father threw off the balance, forcing the loved ones to compete against each other on opposing tribes. However, this has not been confirmed by production.
- Rupert Boneham is the only castaway to accept the offer to switch with their Loved One.
- Of the ten pairs, only three had both castaways reach the merge: Aras/Vytas, Tina/Katie, and Laura M./Ciera.
- Coincidentally, both the first person and the last person eliminated pre-merge was a Boneham.
- Laura Morett and Ciera Eastin have the most combined votes received out of any pair, with 33.
- Ciera Eastin is the only person who cast a vote against her loved one, in this case, her mother Laura Morett. She cast her vote against her mother at the last Tribal Council where at least one full pair were present and in the game.
- Tina and Katie have spent the most days together in the game, playing on the same tribe from Day 14 - Day 24 when Tina is voted out, and playing together on Day 32, when Katie is eliminated.
- Tyson and Rachel were the first pair to come in 1st and 18th, followed by Natalie and Nadiya Anderson.
Survivor: San Juan del Sur
- Jeremy and Val Collins are the only pair in the season to have a unique relationship.
- Of the nine pairs, only four had both castaways reach the merge: Reed & Josh, Missy & Baylor, Jon & Jaclyn, and Keith & Wes.
- Jon & Jaclyn are the first, and so far only, male/female pair to make the merge in a Blood vs. Water season.
- Jon & Jaclyn and Reed & Josh would be the first "water" pairs to play together.
- Only one pair was eliminated pre-merge, which was Dale & Kelley.
- Dale & Kelley are the only parent-child pair to not make the merge in a Blood vs. Water season.
- In both Blood vs. Water seasons, there was a quitter.
- Twin sisters Nadiya & Natalie ironically came last and first in terms of placing, respectively.
- They were the second pair to come in 18th and 1st, preceded by Rachel & Tyson.
- Baylor and Jon were the first jury members in a Blood vs. Water season to cast a vote for their loved ones at the Final Tribal Council.