|Battle of the Sexes|
Jaburu, the first all-female tribe of the series.
|Description||Tribe division based on gender|
|Appearance(s)|| The Amazon|
Battle of the Sexes is a game-shifting twist employed at the start of a competition that divides the men and women into gender-specific tribes for a pre-determined amount of time.
A popular mechanism, the twist has been used in other seasons using the same format or adjusting it slightly. To date, an equal number of men and women have won in seasons featuring this twist.
The tribes were Jaburu for the women, while the men were Tambaqui. On Day thirteen a tribe switch occurred, mixing up the men and the women. The new Jaburu tribe consisted of Deena Bennett, Jenna Morasca, Shawna Mitchell, Alex Bell, Matthew von Ertfelda and Rob Cesternino. The new Tambaqui tribe consisted of Butch Lockley, Dave Johnson, Roger Sexton, Christy Smith, Heidi Strobel and Jeanne Hebert.
The men were Lopevi, whilst the women were called Yasur. On Day 11 a tribe switch switched the two tribes. Julie Berry and Twila Tanner were switched to Lopevi while Rory Freeman and Travis Sampson were switched to Yasur.
The difference between this season compared to previous gender-divided tribes were that they were separated into four tribes. Younger men were Viveros, Older men were La Mina, Younger women were Bayoneta, and the Older women were Casaya. On Day 4 Viveros and Bayoneta were dissolved, with Courtney Marit, Danielle DiLorenzo, Shane Powers, Aras Baskauskas and Bobby Mason becoming Casaya members and Misty Giles, Sally Schumann, Ruth Marie Milliman, Nick Stanbury and Austin Carty joining the new La Mina tribe. Bruce Kanegai was sent to Exile Island as a result of not being chosen by either tribe.
The women were assigned Salani, while the men were known as Manono. After the Day 12 tribe switch Alicia Rosa, Christina Cha and Monica Culpepper became members of the Manono tribe while Jay Byars, Michael Jefferson and Troyzan Robertson made up the new Salani tribe.
Fans fully embraced the twist during The Amazon due to the differences in camp life and eventual strategies that came out of it. However, subsequent divisions have been less than successful until One World when both tribes were placed on the same beach, allowing the groups to interact with one another.
- Every season that featured a Battle of the Sexes also featured a Tribe Switch.
- Tribe switches in all four Battle of the Sexes seasons occurred when there were 12 people (The Amazon), 13 people (Vanuatu), 14 people (One World) and 15 people (Panama) left in the game.
- Currently the amount of men and women to win these seasons are even at 2-2 (Chris Daugherty and Aras Baskauskas for the men; Jenna Morasca and Kim Spradlin for the women).
- In all Battle of the Sexes Seasons that had an LGBT contestant, the tribe with the LGBT contestant failed to produce the winner of the season.
- All seasons that had this twist are multiples of 3.
Want to play Survivor yourself? Join our version, Survivor: Wikia - Timor!