|In Memoriam: B.B. Andersen |
Survivor: Borneo castaway B. B. Andersen passed away due to brain cancer on Tuesday, October 29, 2013. He is survived by his wife Jan and their five children.
|Birth Date||January 18, 1937|
|Died||October 29, 2013 (age 76)|
|Hometown||Mission Hills, Kansas|
|Occupation|| Retired contractor;|
Real Estate Developer
BB died after suffering "a massive stroke and brain cancer" on October 29, 2013. He is the second contestant to have passed away.
Originally from South Dakota, B.B. studied Civil Engineering at Kansas State University in Manhattan, Kansas, before becoming a general contractor and real estate developer. His talents eventually allowed him to own and operate a successful construction and development company. Also active in politics, Andersen was appointed by President Reagan to the Advisory Board of the Defense Intelligence Agency where he then served for 11 ½ years. It was also known that he declined several ambassadorships that were offered him during the Bush administration.
An adventure-seeker by nature, B.B. has toured through Mexico, the western United States and the Great Lakes on his motorcycle. An avid sailor, he had a 53' ketch built in La Rochelle, France and sailed it from the Bay of Biscay into the Mediterranean Sea where he eventually moored it in Hyere, France. In 1993, he sailed from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida across the Atlantic to Lisbon, Portugal and the Canary Islands. While skiing remains his favorite sport, he is also a certified scuba diver. Additionally, he has logged over 8,500 hours of flight time as a private pilot and holds multi-engine, commercial and instrument ratings.
B.B. currently divides his time between Mission Hills, Kansas, and Vail, Colorado, with his wife and their daughter. He has four additional children who live and work around the country. Still active in real estate development, he is currently a member of World Presidents Organization, Kansas City Presidents Organization and the Vail Valley Foundation. His birth date is Jan. 18, 1936.
B.B. was placed on the yellow Pagong tribe. He quickly stirred conflict with his Pagong tribemates with his hard work attitude and his abrasive personality. Tribemate Gervase Peterson even complained that "If you do not work as hard as B.B., you do not work hard at all." B.B. was also responsible for creating a sturdy, albeit uncomfortable tribe shelter, much his tribemates' dismay. After Pagong lost their first immunity challenge, B.B. started saying he wouldn't mind if he went home. It was this (along with his abrasive attitude) that caused everyone on his tribe, minus Greg Buis, to vote for him and he was sent home in a 6-2 vote.
|B.B.'s Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|1||Pagong Tribe Immune|
|2||Ramona|| Colleen, Gervase, Gretchen, |
Jenna, Joel, Ramona
|Voted Off, Day 6|
|“||I'll tell you what, there was a moment a few days ago, that if I would have had a cell phone, I would have called in a helicopter to take me off the island. But I actually came to like this place the last few days. I don't want to leave.||”|
- After Borneo, Andersen did commercials for Reebok and Home Depot and was still active in the construction industry in Kansas.
- On October 29, 2013, B.B. succumbed to brain cancer and passed away.
- B.B. was the first male contestant to be voted off Survivor.
- His luxury item was a towel.
- He was the oldest member of the Pagong tribe.
- B.B. was the first contestant from Kansas.
- B.B. was the second Survivor castaway to pass away, the first being Jenn Lyon, who succumbed to breast cancer in 2010.
- He was followed by Caleb Bankston in 2014.
- According to Joel Klug, B.B. secretly bribed a cameraman to let fly him home because he thought this was not what he signed up for. By the time Joel was voted out 12 days later, B.B. already went home. Due to this incident, production became stricter in sequestering contestants in future seasons.
- B.B. shares his birthday with Survivor: One World castaway, Tarzan Smith.
|Survivor: Borneo Castaways|
Want to play Survivor yourself? Join our version, Survivor: Wikia - Timor!